I have had the time to finish one of my old projects: Install Studio. As the name suggests it is an application to build install packages.
Back in 2003 I was preparing to publish an educational software I had been working on for a year. As I planned to publish it on CD I needed to create an installer of some kind. I looked around the internet but most of them were very expensive and I didn’t have the time to learn some new scripting language. So I decided to create my own installer. It wasn’t difficult and it worked perfectly. There was only one problem: everything was hardcoded inside the source. So I was unable to use it for other software without rewriting the code.
Later I started working on a new version. Again everything was hardcoded inside the source but I managed the create a block were one could easily change the colour and the size of the window. Not a very usable piece of software.
So in 2005 I started working on brand new version where the user can change everything and add files using an editor. I took me one month and so Cougar Install System (The old name of Install Studio) was born. It worked as I wanted it to work, but it wasn’t perfect.
In 2010 I started working on a new, enhanced version of my software. I added many new features, changed some parts of the editor window, updated the source code using the latest version of PureBasic, etc. And then things changed in my life and I put the whole project on hold…
Until two years ago, when I started working on it again. A changed the help system, as well as the language system, updated to source and renamed it to Install Studio. It is still not perfect, but I decided it is time to release it. (Actually I have been using it to distribute my own games and software for years.)
- Build install packages without any programming knowledge.
- Create multi language install packages.
- Place icons on the desktop and/or in the start menu using icons from executable files.
- Change the appearance, the size or the colour of the window as you wish. Change text colours as you wish.
- Compress your files in order to save disk space and download time.
- Create self-extracting install packages, Install Studio Pack files or store the files individually. You can easily create multi-disk install packages for CDs and DVDs.
- Automatically create the uninstall application with the same settings, window size, image, etc. as the installer.
- Include or exclude several screens according to your needs. Create or exclude Information screen, Eula screen, Settings screen, Activation code screen.
- Set registry values easily. Including the installation path, the installation source, time or date automatically.
- Pre-check certain registry values
- Activation code screen to protect your install package.
- Download components via the internet during the installation process.
- Limit the installation according to the operation system.
- Limit the installation according to a given date.
- Disk check during the installation.
- Save and Load project files.
- SmartPack system.
- Automatic autorun.inf creation.
- Template system.
You can download it from my website:
http://www.cyberstorm.hu/_en/core/softw ... tudio.html
I would really appreciate any bug report or suggestion, because I am sure you will find problems. I will continue working on the code as I know where it could be improved.
Here is a screenshot:
I hope you will find it useful.
UPDATE 01 – 17.11.2018
I have uploaded the first update of Install Studio, version 2.0.1. Here is the changelog:
- Registration details can now be provided in the Preferences window. Without registration, the text UNSPECIFIED will be encoded into the install package.
- The handling of SmartPack.prefs file has been modified
- After the install package has been built, the text of the CANCEL button changes to FINISH
- Some text related bugs
- Install Studio was unable to create and save the uninstaller if no image was used.
- Registration window