Attention newcomers to Purebasic! Read This!

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
dracflamloc
Addict
Addict

Attention newcomers to Purebasic! Read This!

Post by dracflamloc »

Hello newcomers. As Purebasic grows many people will enter these forums and begin to use the great tools and tips, as well as request bug fixes and new features.

Please note this: BEFORE POSTING USE THE SEARCH

Chances are something you've discovered has been previous discovered before!

Now thats over with, I would like to say that the pb community has been amazing the past year and a half since I've been using this language. I really think its been growing well and respectfully since I arrived. Lately some posts have been made by relative newcomers that disturb me because they are one of the following:

1. Rude - This kills me. People are new here and are already starting to post DEMANDS about what needs to be done in Purebasic. Make no mistake newcomers, we welcome you and wish you the best with Purebasic. However Fred and his development team are small, and are human too. This is no Microsoft where you need to report something 50 times to get it to be noticed and addressed. If you make a respectful post of a bug or a well thought out feature request it WILL be read by the Purebasic team. If they don't respond don't take it personally and do not start insulting or demanding things of the team. Please realize that while updates are free, this does not ENTITLE you to updates. Fred and the Purebasic team could easily start a new product called "Fredbasic" and charge you all over again. They could create "addon packs" and charge you for those. They DON'T do this because there is a certain honor and respect among Purebasic users and the devs.

2. Frivolous - Goes hand-in-hand with the statement at the top. Please don't double or triple post. If you post something in the wrong section please ask for it to be moved. Don't post something that's been found before. Instead just reply in the old thread.

Now, there are many of you who fit right in here, and I don't mean this to be an attack on newcomers to Purebasic. Far from it, I just want you all to settle in nicely, and help the few who are having difficulties realize how to correctly fit in with the great community here in the forums and on IRC. The more people using Purebasic the better!

I hope all you newcomers will not take offense at this post, but instead use it in self-reflection to what you've done since you arrived. Some people here have been using Purebasic since it's inception and you should be respectful to them. You should be respectful to all people in the community regardless of experience. We do not like flamewars here and typically do not have them so please do not 'troll' or 'flame'. Just look upon what you've done since you started using Purebasic. If you're in the clear then great! But please do be honest with yourself and with the pb community.

We all try very hard to get along and help one another. If you are new and having a problem, try posting it in the question forum before immediately reporting a bug. You may have something not quite right or may not be aware of a quirk in Purebasic that is there by design.

Thats all I have to say on this subject. I hope this gets put somewhere where it can be seen and valued for whatever its worth. Good luck to all you new Purebasic developers! I look forward to seeing what projects you are all able to create and hope you find useful some of the many free and open contributions that I and the others have given to the Purebasic community.
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

This thread has been missing in our community. :)
bye,
Daniel
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

He said it so eloquently too. I usually don't have the patience and can be a meanie. :lol:
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF
PB
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by PB »

I just rouse on people. :) It makes me look mean (or the Grinch as
someone said here) but I don't care. Some people need to be told.
I compile using 5.31 (x86) on Win 7 Ultimate (64-bit).
"PureBasic won't be object oriented, period" - Fred.
Dare2

Post by Dare2 »

Com'n - you're both big marshmellows. Now me, I'm tough!
@}--`--,-- A rose by any other name ..
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

Dare2 wrote:Com'n - you're both big marshmellows. Now me, I'm tough!
Yes, I've heard you sydneysiders are tough, must be the weather. You are a hardieplank!!

I'm just a Melbourne Marshmallow, soft and mushy and evil on the inside.
Dare2

Post by Dare2 »

:)

Sydneysider? That's PB. He's a southerner, just like you.

Sunshine state here, mate! Banana bender. Canetoad. Just a bit on from the back of beyond. Black stump territory. We're all called Blue, we floss our teeth with barbed wire (which is another black stump story) and sign our names with X. Unless, of course, we come from Brisbane or the Gold Coast, in which case we're really southeners pretending to be real.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

Dare2 wrote::)

Sunshine state here, mate! Banana bender. Canetoad. Just a bit on from the back of beyond. Black stump territory. We're all called Blue, we floss our teeth with barbed wire (which is another black stump story) and sign our names with X. Unless, of course, we come from Brisbane or the Gold Coast, in which case we're really southeners pretending to be real.
Oi!! None of that. Pb doesn't come anywhere near me because I am more evil than him and he's not in Melbourne. Us Melbourne boys don't associate with them grumpy old Sydneysider grinches (evil grin) I floss my teeth with babies and give them to drac when I've finished for his "Teh Warg" game.

P.s. I've heard about your 'black stump' and you really shouldn't have done what you did to it. Damn, sorry. Just looking up, I saw you were talking about teeeth. My mistake!!!
Dare2

Post by Dare2 »

lol.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

:lol:
TeddyLM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Attention newcomers to Purebasic! Read This!

Post by TeddyLM »

dracflamloc wrote:... If you make a respectful post of a bug or a well thought out feature request it WILL be read by the Purebasic team...
I agree with this!
You always get better results while using 'please' and 'thanks".
That's what I learned from mom!!! :lol:
PB
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Re: Attention newcomers to Purebasic! Read This!

Post by PB »

> You always get better results while using 'please' and 'thanks".

Or like the old saying: You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. :)
I compile using 5.31 (x86) on Win 7 Ultimate (64-bit).
"PureBasic won't be object oriented, period" - Fred.
Hatonastick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Hatonastick »

Fangbeast wrote:
Dare2 wrote::)

Oi!! None of that. Pb doesn't come anywhere near me because I am more evil than him and he's not in Melbourne. Us Melbourne boys don't associate with them grumpy old Sydneysider grinches (evil grin) I floss my teeth with babies and give them to drac when I've finished for his "Teh Warg" game.

P.s. I've heard about your 'black stump' and you really shouldn't have done what you did to it. Damn, sorry. Just looking up, I saw you were talking about teeeth. My mistake!!!
None of you can compare to Adelaidarians. We drink water from the Murray unfiltered and untreated!

Slightly more on topic, it's about time this was said. Wouldn't want to see PB's forum degenerate into something resembling the seedier side of the GameMaker forum. Hey hang on, I'm one of the new people....
Please forgive my poor English, I'm an Australian.
Dare2

Post by Dare2 »

Hatonastick wrote:None of you can compare to Adelaidarians. We drink water from the Murray unfiltered and untreated!
Now that cannot be topped. * bows *

@dracflamloc,

This should be on the registration page, with a checkbox: I have read, understood, agree with and will adhere to dracflamloc's guidelines.

:)

You also need to write another one, a guideline regarding the best way to post code snippets in "help me" threads. ;)
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

"None of you can compare to Adelaidarians. We drink water from the Murray unfiltered and untreated! "

Yes, I've heard of you tough guys. But I've always thought you were full of CARP!!

/me falls off the chair howling with laughter and flosses his teeth with more babies for drac. English lends itself to such great plays on words.