PureBasic 6.02 LTS is out !

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
plouf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: PureBasic 6.02 beta 1 is out !

Post by plouf »

❤x1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:46 pm But Windows 7 support ended January 14, 2020. Even Win 8.1 isn't supported since last January.
Many features regularly requested are incompatible with such old software. The most obvious example is a new WebView : Chromium dropped its support for those OSes, which are respectively 14 and 11 years old.
Marc56us wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:23 am That's why there are still a lot of Windows XP (probably much more than 0.4%) and some even Windows ... 3.1. It doesn't matter what the updates are when you're not connected to anything.
I find this argument very weird, so let me sum it up : very old, unsafe, buggy and features limited versions of Windows are enough for some specific usages, so those machines aren't updated. BUT, we need to keep new versions of PureBasic compatible with those old machines because they need new features and bug fixes? What am I missing here?
And even if I'm missing some key argument there, I don't see how it changes anything. Let's imagine that there are millions of XP machines not connected to the internet, enough to amount to 2% of all the computer in use today... Would that be a reason to limit the 98% left?
If a future PB version dropped the support for legacy OS, older versions would still exist, and they would continue to work as is; exactly like an old and unsupported OS.
i agree about xp unssupported etc
ONLY dissagreement i have is that i believe that it should mentiom when official stopped supported XP , 7 etc so will know
for example is PB5,6 last veriosn fully suport XP? is 5,4 ? 5.0 ??
equally is PB6 last OFFICIAL and FULLY supported win7 ?

that way if someone for ANY reason need "win xp" development will use up to the last version
Christos
IceSoft
Addict
Addict

Re: PureBasic 6.02 beta 2 is out !

Post by IceSoft »

@Fred,
What for a Visual Studio Version is used with the PB6.xx?
Can I write/use Visual Studio 2022 for some "userlibs"?
Eg.: for the 2D Physics engine: Chipmunk2D ([Chipmunk2D4PB] 2D Physics Engine) https://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?t=44068
Belive!
<Wrapper>4PB, PB<game>, =QONK=, PetriDish, Movie2Image, PictureManager,...
jacdelad
Addict
Addict

Re: PureBasic 6.02 beta 1 is out !

Post by jacdelad »

plouf wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:43 pm
❤x1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:46 pm But Windows 7 support ended January 14, 2020. Even Win 8.1 isn't supported since last January.
Many features regularly requested are incompatible with such old software. The most obvious example is a new WebView : Chromium dropped its support for those OSes, which are respectively 14 and 11 years old.
Marc56us wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:23 am That's why there are still a lot of Windows XP (probably much more than 0.4%) and some even Windows ... 3.1. It doesn't matter what the updates are when you're not connected to anything.
I find this argument very weird, so let me sum it up : very old, unsafe, buggy and features limited versions of Windows are enough for some specific usages, so those machines aren't updated. BUT, we need to keep new versions of PureBasic compatible with those old machines because they need new features and bug fixes? What am I missing here?
And even if I'm missing some key argument there, I don't see how it changes anything. Let's imagine that there are millions of XP machines not connected to the internet, enough to amount to 2% of all the computer in use today... Would that be a reason to limit the 98% left?
If a future PB version dropped the support for legacy OS, older versions would still exist, and they would continue to work as is; exactly like an old and unsupported OS.
i agree about xp unssupported etc
ONLY dissagreement i have is that i believe that it should mentiom when official stopped supported XP , 7 etc so will know
for example is PB5,6 last veriosn fully suport XP? is 5,4 ? 5.0 ??
equally is PB6 last OFFICIAL and FULLY supported win7 ?

that way if someone for ANY reason need "win xp" development will use up to the last version
My company is running dozens of computers running on Windows XP (and even Windows 2000). These machines aren't connected to the internet, so safety is not priority. They simply don't run with newer Windows versions and the manufacturer don't offer upgrade packages for these older machines. The only option would be buying new machines with newer computers.
However, I know I still would able to use older PureBasic versions to write programs and many things can be done by API calls and such, but it is at least an inconvenience to be limited to older versions.
PureBasic 6.04/XProfan X4a/Embarcadero RAD Studio 11/Perl 5.2/Python 3.10
Windows 11/Ryzen 5800X/32GB RAM/Radeon 7770 OC/3TB SSD/11TB HDD
Synology DS1821+/36GB RAM/130TB
Synology DS920+/20GB RAM/54TB
Synology DS916+ii/8GB RAM/12TB
IceSoft
Addict
Addict

Post by IceSoft »

Its not realy very important how much machines still use Win7.
Its more important how much PureBasic Programms existing on such machines and still need an update with new pure Basic versions.
It is still possible to work with older pb versions
Belive!
<Wrapper>4PB, PB<game>, =QONK=, PetriDish, Movie2Image, PictureManager,...
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

I think I will revert innosetup for the 6.0x version as it's only bug fixes and a LTS. Next version (6.10) will official drop XP.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PureBasic 6.02 beta 3 is out !

Post by Fred »

mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
Janni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Janni »

You're awesome Fred!

Have a great weekend :)
Spec: Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, i7-3770K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super
marcoagpinto
Addict
Addict

Post by marcoagpinto »

@Fred,

The installer in beta 3 shows the old installation icon, have you created the installation files with the old setup?
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

Yes, it's be compatible with XP. Next major release will use the new installer.
marcoagpinto
Addict
Addict

Post by marcoagpinto »

Fred wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:51 pm Yes, it's be compatible with XP. Next major release will use the new installer.
Ahhhhh… cool… thanks for telling. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Cezary
User
User

Post by Cezary »

Fred,
thanks for the purebasic_gtk3! As I can see now, all I need to do is install only libgtk-3-dev (am I right?). Additionally opening multiple project files is lightning fast!
Unfortunately, the debugger still doesn't work with threads as it should. The program correctly stops on a trap within the thread, but after a single step it loses control. What am I doing wrong?
(Platform: Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamonn.)
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

You could never really evaluate threads with a debugger. Here it is better to create a trace yourself with PostEvent.
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
Cezary
User
User

Post by Cezary »

mk-soft,
thanks for the answer.
It works quite well on Windows, I thought Linux might as well. In my application, a very large part of the tasks must be performed without interruption, and the user interface unfortunately has its rights. I don't see any other way than using a thread. As for the debugger - it remains to use "Debug" or output to the console.
Mindphazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mindphazer »

I get a linker error when i try to compile my Puretris game (see viewtopic.php?t=81423)
I don't get this error with PB 6.00 and PB 6.01...
MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro - 16 Gb - MacOS 14 - Iphone 15 Pro Max - iPad at home
...and unfortunately... Windows at work...