PureBasic 6.02 LTS is out !

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Re: PureBasic 6.02 beta 1 is out !

Post by BarryG »

Mesa wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:56 pmtried to install in a real Windows XP 32bits and i have the error "It's not a valid win32 application"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB7qmJOYuZA :wink:
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

BarryG wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:23 am
Mesa wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:56 pmtried to install in a real Windows XP 32bits and i have the error "It's not a valid win32 application"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB7qmJOYuZA :wink:
Purebasic has always been highly valued precisely because it doesn't need much.
Three is enough!!! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Wu0UcZ5Eg
Dawn will come inevitably.
Mesa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mesa »

useful wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:14 am by useful » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:14 am

BarryG wrote: ↑Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:23 am

Mesa wrote: ↑Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:56 pm
tried to install in a real Windows XP 32bits and i have the error "It's not a valid win32 application"

https://www.you
Stop moking me :P :) , there were several reasons to do that, the first was to have a very strong compatibility between all MS windows...
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Mesa wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:37 amthere were several reasons to do that, the first was to have a very strong compatibility between all MS windows
But Win XP doesn't even have half a percent of desktop PC use in the world anymore:

Source -> https://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-m ... /worldwide

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Win 7 should be the minimum Window OS that PureBasic supports now, because there are so many Microsoft APIs that require Win 7 as a minimum.

Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

But Win XP doesn't even have half a percent of desktop PC use in the world anymore:
Source -> https://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-m ... /worldwide
...in the Internet access world 8)

- What methodology is used to calculate Statcounter Global Stats?
"Statcounter is a web analytics service. Our tracking code is installed on more than 1.5 million sites globally. These sites cover various activities and geographic locations. Every month, we record billions of page views to these sites. For each page view
...[...]"

There is a huge amount of machines that are not connected to the Internet (mainly for security reasons. E.g. almost everything that drives machines.). It takes some time to validate an OS completely and the bigger it is, the more time it takes.
That's why there are still a lot of Windows XP (probably much more than 0.4%) and some even Windows ... 3.1. It doesn't matter what the updates are when you're not connected to anything. And given the small size and reliability of PB it is most likely used on older PCs for important activities. So yes, we should keep x86.
:wink:
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Marc56us wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:23 amwe should keep x86
I didn't say not to keep x86 versions. Win 7 is x86 as well.
marcoagpinto
Addict
Addict

Post by marcoagpinto »

I agree that the minimum requirements should be Windows 7 and that all commands should be enhanced to support bigger icons and such, without the need to use API code.

Maybe an enhancement request for PureBasic 7?
❤x1
User
User

Post by ❤x1 »

But Windows 7 support ended January 14, 2020. Even Win 8.1 isn't supported since last January.
Many features regularly requested are incompatible with such old software. The most obvious example is a new WebView : Chromium dropped its support for those OSes, which are respectively 14 and 11 years old.
Marc56us wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:23 am That's why there are still a lot of Windows XP (probably much more than 0.4%) and some even Windows ... 3.1. It doesn't matter what the updates are when you're not connected to anything.
I find this argument very weird, so let me sum it up : very old, unsafe, buggy and features limited versions of Windows are enough for some specific usages, so those machines aren't updated. BUT, we need to keep new versions of PureBasic compatible with those old machines because they need new features and bug fixes? What am I missing here?
And even if I'm missing some key argument there, I don't see how it changes anything. Let's imagine that there are millions of XP machines not connected to the internet, enough to amount to 2% of all the computer in use today... Would that be a reason to limit the 98% left?
If a future PB version dropped the support for legacy OS, older versions would still exist, and they would continue to work as is; exactly like an old and unsupported OS.
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

❤x1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:46 pm If a future PB version dropped the support for legacy OS, older versions would still exist, and they would continue to work as is; exactly like an old and unsupported OS.
My work is mostly for x86 machines, but I share that comment of ❤x1 we can use old versions of PB, so the new PB shouldn't be limited for keep compatibility with very old systems.
Janni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Janni »

Do we really need Windows support at all ? :lol:
Spec: Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, i7-3770K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

It's me or the V6.02 B1 is very unstable ? I mean the compiler report Invalid Memory Access error on the wrong line. (no bug report from me on that Yet) And the IDE has a tendency to destroy source code after many compile/run. (A bug report has been written about that)

This under Linux Debian 11 x64

Best regards
StarBootics
The Stone Age did not end due to a shortage of stones !
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

That's why it's called Beta.
Some internal changes have probably been made, so a complete test must be carried out. Of course, it's too much for one person to test everything.
Therefore please report all errors.
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

mk-soft wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:09 pm That's why it's called Beta.
Some internal changes have probably been made, so a complete test must be carried out. Of course, it's too much for one person to test everything.
Therefore please report all errors.
Maybe I should re-install PB V6.02 B1 and replace the IDE with one from the V6.01 to investigate the IMA error problem. I will see about this tomorrow, now it's time to get some rest.

Best regards
StarBootics
The Stone Age did not end due to a shortage of stones !
akee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by akee »

Please help add PackEntryDate() for 6.02. Thank you...
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PureBasic 6.02 beta 2 is out !

Post by Fred »

2023-04-21: beta 2 is out and brings the following changes, don't hesitate to test it so we can have a better final version:

Code: Select all

- Removed EnableASM support for C backend as it can't be used correctly (the IDE capitalize the letters for If etc.) and avoid detecting real x86/x64 asm block leading to strange errors. The correct way is now to use the '!' sign at the line start to use directly C code.

- Updated libarchive to 3.6.2
- Updated lib7z to 22.01
Bugfixes for this version:This list was created automatically. All updated bug threads from the date of the last final version have been determined.