PasswordCreator

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Little John
Addict
Addict

PasswordCreator

Post by Little John »

Hi, I'm happy to announce version 1.00 of my program PasswordCreator (currently compiled for 64-bit Windows only). It generates randoom passwords, with a few restrictions (see below). The program can be downloaded as a setup program and as a ZIP file, which is primarily intended for portable use.

Features
  • So that you do not accidentally lock yourself out of your own accounts etc., passwords must be reliably readable. Therefore, the passwords created by this program
    • never contain the capital letter “I” (can be confused with digit “1” and lowercase letter “l”) and the capital letter “O” (can be confused with digit “0”),
    • never contain the lowercase letter “l”.
  • You can choose which of the following character groups are required in the password to be created, or which groups are allowed:
    • digits
    • capital letters
    • lowercase letters
    • special characters, which you can specify yourself
  • You can choose the length of the password (from 4 to 80 characters). Choosing only 4 characters is not secure, of course. However, if you choose to use only digits, you can generate a PIN (which typically consists of 4 digits, at least in Germany).
  • Due to the requirements e.g. for logging in to some websites, the number of identical characters in the password is limited (1 to 4), as is the number of adjacent consecutive characters (1 to 3), e.g. “abc” or “cba”.
  • The generated password can be copied to the clipboard in a secure way:
    • It does not appear in the Windows 10+ clipboard history.
    • It does not appear in the Windows 10+ cloud clipboard.
    • It will be automatically deleted from the clipboard after a chosen time (5 to 60 seconds), or when the program is terminated.
Language
  • By default (“Language = auto” in the INI file), the program's language is German on German systems and English on all other systems. However, you can force the language to German or English by changing the INI file accordingly.
  • You can create a new LNG file by translating an existing one. That file will be used by the program, if its name is entered in the INI file (without the LNG extension).
    If you send me your translated language file, I'll offer it for download on my website, and the next version of the program will automatically support this language.
Any constructive feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by Little John on Wed May 31, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Little_man
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: PasswordCreator

Post by Little_man »

Little John,

In the german language, the length of "Length of password" is not enough (Textgadget) !!...

Little_man
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

Little_man wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:03 pm In the german language, the length of "Length of password" is not enough (Textgadget) !!...
Hi, thanks for your feedback!
Using the German language, it looks as expected here on my system (Windows 11, DPI 125%):
<old image deleted>

What is the DPI value of your system?
Last edited by Little John on Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

My passwords are usually 63-64 characters, so, unfortunately, this would not work for me. That said I like the extra effort you made to avoid confusion in misreading characters. I wish everybody did that. :mrgreen:
Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

Kuron wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:31 pm My passwords are usually 63-64 characters, so, unfortunately, this would not work for me.
Thanks for your feedback!
I chose the limit of 60 characters for the password length arbitrarily. I will increase it in the next release of the program. :-)
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

@Little_man:
I just tested with DPI 150% and then encountered the effect that you described.
I'll certainly test the next program version with some different DPI settings.
Thanks again!
AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

screenshot
I use font 11 (15px) and often encounter when the text does not fit. So if you have the ability to increase the length of the margins (window size allows), then this will work well for those who increase the font, instead of scaling.
SS_LEFTNOWORDWRAP is a useful flag to make at least part of a word visible instead of wrapping it on a new line.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

I've see you already though of many details.
But also you may check generated passwords to be really much more unique.
There is a way to do this without sending passwords to somewhere, only small part of their hash, so-called K-anonymity principle.
And there is some public API which checks hashes this way over a huge databases.
Time ago I've made simplest UI to do this manually for tests, you can see here and do the same automatically for generated passwords.

A bit funny of course to do that for randomly generated passwords, but why not, hah
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

Version 1.00 beta 2 released.

Changes:
  • Maximum password length changed to 80 characters.
  • The program now uses always the font "Segoe UI" 9 Pt., even when another font is chosen in the Windows settings.
  • Both the English and the German version now look as expected (tested with DPI 100%, 125%, 150%, and 175%).
  • Some internal changes.
  • Documentation in the first post here updated and slightly extended.
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

@AZJIO:
There are many possibilities for users to change the size of the Windows system font. Preparing the program for all of them would probably be a mess.
I choose a different solution, and I hope version 1.00 beta 2 looks OK on your system (even if it's not in the desired font size :-)).
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

@Lunasole:
I know that from the German forum (https://www.purebasic.fr/german/viewtop ... 61#p351661).
However, I think that is beyond the scope of a password generating program.
Axolotl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Axolotl »

@LittleJohn,

thanks for sharing.
Is there also a save option planned like with theses password-safes?
Because I can think of the most amazing passwords, but I can't really remember most of them.....

Secure clipboard: I was hoping that disabling the system functions (clipboard history, and cloud) would be enough?
Mostly running PureBasic <latest stable version and current alpha/beta> (x64) on Windows 11 Home
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

Axolotl wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:26 pm Is there also a save option planned like with theses password-safes?
Because I can think of the most amazing passwords, but I can't really remember most of them.....
Hi, currently I have no option planned for saving the passwords with the program.
I also can't remember my several dozens of passwords.
I'm using KeePass for storing them (on Windows, Linux, and Android), and I'm happy with that program.
Axolotl wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:26 pm Secure clipboard: I was hoping that disabling the system functions (clipboard history, and cloud) would be enough?
I'm pretty sure that disabling the system functions (clipboard history and cloud) would be enough.
But for me personally, that would be a bit overkill. For normal stuff (except from passwords and other secret stuff) I especially like the clipboard history, and I wouldn't want to do without it anymore.
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

Little John wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:02 pm @Lunasole:
I know that from the German forum (https://www.purebasic.fr/german/viewtop ... 61#p351661).
However, I think that is beyond the scope of a password generating program.
I just wanted to search for that again and link it here. So thanks to you :D
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

:D