Ascii - CMD Prompt Games 1 of 5 - Off World Mining Outpost

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Vernostonos
User
User

Ascii - CMD Prompt Games 1 of 5 - Off World Mining Outpost

Post by Vernostonos »

Hello! I haven't posted here in a long time but I've been busy!

Over the past few years to teach myself better coding habits, I created a series of ASCII games played through the Windows CMD console. Here is one of five that I am the most proud of even in its unfinished state. It's a hybrid Turned Based Management / RTS simulation of controlling an Off World Mining Outpost. The goal of the game is to successfully gather resources and explore this exoplanet while maintaining the base. All choices are done through a software terminal, simulated through the Windows CMD prompt. While the static images here don't show it the game does feature quite a bit of smooth animation. Some of the UI screens lack polish or cohesion compared to some of nicer looking ones, as they are currently unfinished and incomplete.

It is a very complex game, perhaps too complex... It simulates a variety of weather events and unique situations that can happen on a Exoplanet. I took great care in designing believable looking systems within the limitations of Terminal Window. My idea was to make the control system for the game mimic a 1980's DOS based UI for machinery & software for that era. I really like ASCII based UI systems? Yeah I'm weird I guess!

The game does feature a cataclysm event which totally shifts the focus of the game, but I can't talk too much about that without spoiling it.

I think if I released my games I would bundle them all together is a Ascii game pack. Not sure on a price but they would be cheap. I never thought of releasing my games until I played Warsim: The Realm of Aslona. Which to date has sold over 30,000 copies over 6 years. Which is pretty darn good for a text based game! I shared with the Developer my process of simulating sprites in the CMD prompt should he ever attempt to put in graphics to his game.

Feedback and supportive criticism would be helpful and appreciated! Thanks!!!

- Intro Screen -

-The Main Control Terminal -
Most of the game is spent at this screen. It provides a overhead view of the quadrant you currently viewing as well as a little side view of the base faculties.

-Long Range Scanner -
The LRS Array provides a view of the over world map. Showing areas you have explored, with additional information provided if the quadrant has been surveyed through the use of Exploration Drones.

-Reactor Monitoring-
If something goes wrong you better make the right choices here, or the entire base could explode!

-Base View-
This shows the current layout of the base and any facilities you have constructed.

-Comm Link-
This is how you communicate with the rest of your team, in the orbiting space station. This section is unfinished.

-Robotic Manufacturing Facility-
This is where you construct units for mining, transport, or exploration and surveying duties. You can also upgrade your main base and supplies which are necessary to further mining operations as you expand.

-Selected Unit Information-
Further information on the unit you have selected to construct.

-Mining Outpost Viewing-
This is where you select what Mining Outpost to view. Mining operations are always done remotely from the main base of operations. The game always starts with 2 active bases, with their positions randomized.

-Viewing Mining Outpost-
Here is an active Mining Outpost that has been selected. Here you can see the mining droids working away, filling transports with ore and creating new access shafts as the Mega-drill continues boring deeper into the planet. Some events may require you to manually adjust the Drill settings.

-Menu UI-
Just a quick shot of the in game Menu UI.

-Weather Radar-
This unfinished section will give you detailed information as well as a visual recreation of any weather events occurring.

-Datalinks : Drones-
One of the many detailed Datalink screens which explain the games various units or systems and how they integrate into the simulation.

-Sentry Turret Defense-
Spoiler!!! One of the few action phases of the game, where you must decide where and when to place these extra defensive measures against an unknown threat...
Last edited by Vernostonos on Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeromyal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Ascii - CMD Prompt Games 1 of 5 - Off World Mining Outpost

Post by Jeromyal »

I just took a brief glance at these first two post of games.
Unreal! I have never seen ascii like this. Incredible. I am sure your work has sales potential.
Vernostonos
User
User

Post by Vernostonos »

Wow thanks! I originally made these to teach myself coding but I wouldn't mind being able to afford some extra Pizza and Beer! :)
mk61hacker
New User
New User

Post by mk61hacker »

This is actually seriously stunning work... I think you are joking that you are just learning to code. This is pro-level game design that captures retro-style from 80s pitch perfect... I'm also working on CosPlay Engine for native 2D ASCII games (https://cosplayengine.com) - great minds think alike :-)
Vernostonos
User
User

Post by Vernostonos »

mk61hacker wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:46 am This is actually seriously stunning work... I think you are joking that you are just learning to code. This is pro-level game design that captures retro-style from 80s pitch perfect... I'm also working on CosPlay Engine for native 2D ASCII games (https://cosplayengine.com) - great minds think alike :-)
Thanks for the kind words! Your engine looks amazing I will keep my eye on it for sure. I love knowing there are others out there working to preserve this aesthetic.