Spam-Users

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Kiffi
Addict
Addict

Re: Spam-Users

Post by Kiffi »

Are all admins and moderators on vacation?
Hygge
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

Mods can not do anything agains spam bots. They can not delete these users nor can they configure the Captcha. This board and the German one are very outdated and I don't know if this will ever change. I don't thinks Fred has spare time for that but he doesn't seem to want any help either.
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

I'm kind of surprised spam users/bots can circumvent the current registration page. Or are they 'real' people?

Anyway, a manual approval of the first couple of posts of a new user comes a long way... And allow moderators to delete NEW accounts.

Certainly annoying when using the feature 'view active topics' which I frequently use to skim the contents.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

Yes there's a lot of spam users lately, sometimes they're easy to spot as soon as they register
but recently they've been becoming a little more tricky making seemingly innocuous posts
only to come back later and edit them with urls.
Windows 11, Manjaro, Raspberry Pi OS
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

It's ridiculous. Please do something, even if it's manual verification before posting.

Look at these posts from just now. Why was the user "g34dfsd" even allowed to join? Crazy!

idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

yes it's annoying but I can't sit round all day waiting for spammers, had to go sailing!
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

BarryG wrote:manual verification before posting
Can this not be implemented? I used to do that on a Simple Machines Forum I had years ago, and it reduced spam to zero.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

BarryG wrote:
BarryG wrote:manual verification before posting
Can this not be implemented? I used to do that on a Simple Machines Forum I had years ago, and it reduced spam to zero.
Only admin can do that.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

idle wrote:Only admin can do that.
That's what I mean. Hope someone higher up can do this. I'm not the first to mention or recommend it, either.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

BarryG wrote:
idle wrote:Only admin can do that.
That's what I mean. Hope someone higher up can do this. I'm not the first to mention or recommend it, either.
I'm fairly sure you can set permission to restrict new users post to a single topic.
Josh
Addict
Addict

Post by Josh »

idle wrote:I can't sit round all day waiting for spammers, had to go sailing!
Do you still have no curfews in New Zealand? Probably won't be long now, and you will have enough time to delete spam users :mrgreen: .

Anyway, it's an outrage that you can still go sailing and I have to sit at home :cry: .
sorry for my bad english
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

Josh wrote:
idle wrote:I can't sit round all day waiting for spammers, had to go sailing!
Do you still have no curfews in New Zealand? Probably won't be long now, and you will have enough time to delete spam users :mrgreen: .

Anyway, it's an outrage that you can still go sailing and I have to sit at home :cry: .
They'll be making more announcements today, currently events >500 people are banned but that's about it. Truth be told I've been in self isolation for last 3 months, it's what we do here during the peak tourist season. hide away make a dash to the supermarket or go sailing!
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

"Newly Registered Users Group - phpBB 3.0.6 also sees the introduction of the "Newly Registered Users" group. This feature, which may be enabled via the User Registration Settings page of the Administration Control Panel (ACP), allows the administrator to define a minimum post count; if a user is below this limit they will be a member of the Newly Registered Users group. Permissions may be set on this group much like any other group -- an example use is to place the Newly Registered Users group on the moderation queue for all forums. The user is automatically removed from the group when they reach the defined post amount. Be aware that this feature is not retroactive -- users who registered prior to a board's upgrade to phpBB 3.0.6 will not be placed in the Newly Registered Users group, regardless of their post count."
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

It appears that this forum too might have been infected by corona spammers. :lol:

Time for quarantine measures!
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
jacdelad
Addict
Addict

Post by jacdelad »

Lol, spam user spamming an anti-spam thread.

BTW: chbkoiklp457 joined in October, but didn't post anything for two months and now 45 posts...there must be some tool to prevent this. I hereby kindly ask to maybe get the permission to delete user posts. I work a lot of night shifts and maybe can relieve the mods a bit. Or maybe the permission to hide posts, so a mod can reapprove or delete them, if possible.
Edit: 57 posts now...
PureBasic 6.04/XProfan X4a/Embarcadero RAD Studio 11/Perl 5.2/Python 3.10
Windows 11/Ryzen 5800X/32GB RAM/Radeon 7770 OC/3TB SSD/11TB HDD
Synology DS1821+/36GB RAM/130TB
Synology DS920+/20GB RAM/54TB
Synology DS916+ii/8GB RAM/12TB