i2pdf - image to pdf

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Vera
Addict
Addict

Post by Vera »

Hi luis,

again thanks for your detailed and patient explanations giving me deeper insight into various aspekts.
So I took several hours to work it all out.

As result came out: only Adope Reader will show the images in the same dimensions as the originals after I set '72 points for inch' which was unchecked before. (Changing the units didn't make a difference). With this reader the pictures show off very sharp and brilliant.

The other Pdf-Readers I use, don't have the option to set the points for inches and they will continue to display the pictures double-sized if the zoom is at 100%. (Useing different picture-sources or changing the units had no influence on that.) Here I can choose something around 66-70% to get near to original largeness, but never getting a sharp display.

On an inspiration I opened the pdfs under Unix (while surfing) and both of the onbord readers displayed them correctly straight away.

To try a conclusion I'd say it depence on the capability of the reader to interpret the pdfs the wanted way. Further dependences concering the local settings of an OS is far beyond my knowledge but presumingly another source of reason why this effect occurs.

So - if nobody else but me meets this behaviour there shouldn't be further bothering about it, but still I hope it was good for something (at least I learned a bit from it ;) ).

nice regards ~ Vera
Xombie
Addict
Addict

Re: i2pdf - image to pdf

Post by Xombie »

Is there a command-line version or any plans for a routine (tailbite or dll) that can convert the images to a PDF?
luis
Addict
Addict

Post by luis »

Hi Xombie,

the answer is no to both questions, but if you can tell me the reason of your request maybe I can help.

But consider my pdf routines are quite limited because were written from scratch with the idea of support image inclusion exclusively and some simple text with a fixed font. So there are not a complete PDF creation solution, far from it, they do what the program needs and no more.

Are you sure these can't help you ?

http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?p=298151

http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?p=107004

I could even release the sources of my pdf routines if there is a real request, but frankly considering their limited scope, and considering there are already other open source solution even on this forum I didn't think about it.

I admit tough I started developing my program using PurePDF but then I decided to write my own because PurePDF had a lot of problems with memory allocations and trapping of errors when memory is near full. That and a not very efficient use of ram. So if you choose that (don't know if something is changed) keep this in mind.

I didn't try the routines in the first link yet so I cannot comment on them !
"Have you tried turning it off and on again ?"
A little PureBasic review
Xombie
Addict
Addict

Post by Xombie »

I do a lot of image processing and conversion of TIFF files to PDF and was looking for something that could take a list of images as a command line and create a PDF file.

However, I did some digging and stumbled upon libtiff which seemed to do the trick.

I appreciate the answer back!
PeterPan
New User
New User

Post by PeterPan »

I would like to say thanks to your i2pdf. I have been using it for many year.

There are lots of alternative now but yours simply do the task quick without any problem.
luis
Addict
Addict

Post by luis »

Hi PeterPan, thanks for your post.
I still use the program myself, every time I scan some document to archive it :)
Bye !
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

Hi Luis, nice to read you again!
How could I have missed this tool from you? It might be exactly what I need right now. :-)
I just tried to download it from the link in the first post here (http://luis.no-ip.net/i2pdf/), but the link is broken. Where can I download the program now?

Best regards, LJ
luis
Addict
Addict

Post by luis »

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-to ... 2pdf.shtml

HI LJ
That is a 1.0.46, for some reason I have a 1.0.48, I've uploaded the 64 bit version here: http://luis.no-ip.net/purebasic/i2pdf_x64_1.0.48.zip.
I don't have a 32 bit version readily available.
acreis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by acreis »

This amazing tool let me know about Purebasic a long time ago. Thanks for both!

For the first time I have an free tool to publish, but I don't know how. Is it possible submit it to Softpedia?
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

Luis,

thank you very much, that looks good!
(I no longer encounter 32-bit computers at home or in the office.)
I will thoroughly test whether the program is particularly suitable for our purposes in the office as soon as I have time.

PS: If at some point you intend to change the program, so that it reads the texts of the menus etc. from an external text file, I will be happy to translate the texts into German.
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

At our office, PDF files from scanned pages should be as small as possible so that they can be easily sent by e-mail. Typically we don't scan photos or other images, but letters from insurance companies etc. I did a little test with a letter with black text on white background and a blue logo on the first page. I scanned the 3 pages with Faststone Image Viewer (FIV), which connects to the scanner. After scanning, FIV allows you to save the images in PDF, JPG or PNG format, among others. The following graph shows the 5 different ways I used to create a PDF file from the scanned pages:

All resulting PDF files were of good optical quality.
So i2pdf worked very well :!:
Many thanks, Luis!
luis
Addict
Addict

Post by luis »

acreis wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:40 pm This amazing tool let me know about Purebasic a long time ago. Thanks for both!
Nice to know you discovered PureBasic thanks to that. :)
acreis wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:40 pm For the first time I have an free tool to publish, but I don't know how. Is it possible submit it to Softpedia?
I don't know if those sites accept "submission" maybe some do. Generally the program must have its own page and they usually discover it in some way and try the software. At least that's my experience. ipdf (in its simplicity) went around a lot for some reason and I sent it to just one site (https://www.techsupportalert.com/best-f ... pdf-tools/) because I knew people working there. Great site BTW for freeware !

Softpedia apparently has a "submit" form https://www.softpedia.com/user/contact.php but I don't know how it works.

Bye !
luis
Addict
Addict

Post by luis »

Little John wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:21 pm So i2pdf worked very well
Happy to know it :)
One of these days I'll have to look at the source and make it compilable again, it's so old it does no longer compile with the current version of PB.
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

I have a wish for a new version. :-)

After dropping some graphic files onto i2pdf's window, we have to check the checkbox for each file before it is included in the conversion to PDF (or click "Files" > "Selerct all" in the menu).
I realize that the ability to use checkboxes for selecting or deselecting individual files can be helpful. However, for a simple workflow, which is what we have in our office most of the time, things can be made easier, because we only drag and drop those files onto i2pdf's window that we want to convert anyway.

Therefore, in one of the next versions of i2pdf, I would appreciate to have an additional option such as
[✓] Automatically select dropped files

That would make it even easier for us to use i2pdf in everyday life: Just drop the desired files on i2pdf's window and click "Build PDF". :-)
luis
Addict
Addict

Post by luis »

All the files dropped are included in the PDF, the checkmarks are only there to select the files you want to move (to the top or bottom) or to delete using the pop up menu you invoke with a right click. But the checkmarks have no effect on what it is included. Yeah, maybe not so intuitive, it was an afterthought. I've made the program as a quick hack really because I was frustrated by the others available and in need of something just working :)
Single files are moved without the need to select them, just drag them.

Anyway, I will send you the source if / when I'll make it compilable again so you will be able to customize it.