PureBasic for OS4

AmigaOS specific forum
afxgroup
New User
New User

PureBasic for OS4

Post by afxgroup »

There is a plan of a new version for OS4??

Please! We need it!
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

OS 4 version isn't planned for now. The MacOS X one has to be ironed out before, which is a quite big work.
afxgroup
New User
New User

Post by afxgroup »

Fred wrote:OS 4 version isn't planned for now. The MacOS X one has to be ironed out before, which is a quite big work.
Ok. Mac OSX has certainly a more numerous group of developers, but please don't forget us.. AmigaOS 4 now need a valid Basic language with a integrated IDE so.. I hope it will out after a Mac Os version :roll:
plouf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by plouf »

afxgroup wrote: Ok. Mac OSX has certainly a more numerous group of developers, but please don't forget us.. AmigaOS 4 now need a valid Basic language with a integrated IDE so.. I hope it will out after a Mac Os version :roll:
btw don't forget that AOS has his loyal fans :wink:
Christos
Dreamland Fantasy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dreamland Fantasy »

How will PureBasic for AmigaOS 4.0 be implemented? Will it be an "extension" of the existing PureBasic for the classic AmigaOS or an entirely separate entity?

If it were up to me I would have it as an all-in-one package with a classic version and an enhanced AmigaOS 4.0 version of the PureBasic Editor both capable of compiling programs for '68000', '68020+' and 'PowerPC (AmigaOS 4.0)'. I don't know how easy it would be to compile an AmigaOS 4.0 program on classic hardware though. :?

I also think that it would be a nice feature to have any AmigaOS 4.0 specific commands to appear highlighted in a different way from other commands in the editor for easier cross-development between the two platforms.

Kind regards,

Francis
AmigaOneProductions
New User
New User

Re: PureBasic for OS4

Post by AmigaOneProductions »

afxgroup wrote:There is a plan of a new version for OS4??

Please! We need it!
Yes, I'll add my vote to that, from what I have found in this forum from a few months ago, it is not currently planned, but maybe sometime in the future, after the MacOS is completed.

Is there any update on this situation at the moment.

@afxgroup: Well, what a small place the internet is, I recognised your avatar/nick the moment I arrived. See you back in the "usual" forum :-)
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

The MacOS version is still under development and we are still not planning to do an AmigaOS 4 version of PB. May be later, who knows ? :)
Dreamland Fantasy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@Fred

What about at least getting a "bug fix" for the current Amiga version of PureBasic so that it will at least run under AmigaOS 4.0?

Kind regards,

Francis
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

A bug fix version will be probably released in a few week..
AmigaOneProductions
New User
New User

Fred wrote:A bug fix version will be probably released in a few week..
That would certainly be appreciated, we then have something to work with while we wait patiently for a full OS4 PPC version :-) (Something tells me that the Amiga community will not let you forget about this :-) )

If an OS4 version is eventually done, we could just recompile our sources to produce PPC native software.
Blade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Blade »

Fred "lives" with his great product, and now he is full-time on it too.
Despite being a "loyal" Amiga user (as I was) he has to think twice (or more!) before spending his time in a product with a ridiculous user base...
(This is a common rure for any kind of business, no flames on Amiga users intended, no Amiga mouses were harmed) :wink:
AmigaOneProductions
New User
New User

@Blade

Agreed 100%, there is a very small userbase at the moment, hopefully we can work on that now that we have new hardware and software. It is a chicken and egg situation, there will be no userbase without someone writing some new applications, and there will be no new applications if there is no one to use them.

Development tools like Purebasic could help the situation by allowing more applications to be written.

At this moment in time I know of no BASIC compilers that work under OS4, and certainly none that are able to generate native PPC code. The first person to do this has the best chance of comercial success.

I know that the license I bought for PB allows free upgrades for all OSs, and I would be entitled to a PPC version for free, but I do not see this as rewarding enough for the team to produce a PPC version, as they would only generate revenue from new customers. I for one would be prepared to buy another license just for the OS4 PPC version, does anyone else feel the same ?

People need our support if they are going to bother developing the tools we need.
afxgroup
New User
New User

Re: PureBasic for OS4

Post by afxgroup »

AmigaOneProductions wrote: @afxgroup: Well, what a small place the internet is, I recognised your avatar/nick the moment I arrived. See you back in the "usual" forum :-)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dreamland Fantasy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@Fred

Any update on the bug fix for getting PureBasic to run on OS4?

Kind regards,

Francis.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

No release date yet, sorry..