Re: Editor slow

Post by BarryG »

Okay. I understand.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

Ok, I couldn't stop to try to find a solution and I found out than scintilla notification were different with new version, so it was flooding the modified state. Could you try this one ? the cursor moving should be much faster (edition should be the same speed):

https://www.purebasic.com/beta/windows_ ... eBasic.exe
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Hi Fred. Okay, so I installed Beta 8 clean again (and deleted the prefs file in the %APPDATA% folder), and the first thing I noticed is that it installed the "Examples" folder into "C:\Program Files\PureBasic" and also in "C:\ProgramData\PureBasic" - is that meant to happen? Two copies?

Anyway, then I installed the new IDE beta from your post above into the "C:\Program Files\PureBasic" folder, and loaded my big source in it. Auto-complete works again - great! I typed "if openwi" and hit Tab, and it correctly became "If OpenWindow". I then hit Enter, and the cursor went down one line but indented two spaces, so that the cursor was under the space after "If". Good.

I then typed "endif" (all lower-case) and then cursored back two characters, then cursored up one line, but "endif" didn't auto-capitalize to "EndIf"? I'm not sure if it's meant auto-capitalize like that with the default prefs? Here's a small gif showing this:

About the scrolling: here's a (small for privacy) gif. After doing an OpenWindow() auto-complete at top, and the "endif" thing, I then moved the cursor to column 0 and held down the DownArrow key to scroll down. Looks very smooth to me! 8)

Lastly: the IDE windows and their gadgets (Prefs, Find/Replace, etc) are all correct and not corrupted. Perfect!

But Fred, see this thread about 250% DPI too -> viewtopic.php?t=82447
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

Thanks for the test, it looks like there is still something missing here as it should autocapitalize. I will try to narrow this down later on.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Hi Fred, I just found a new bug with this IDE beta: when you open the Prefs window, click and drag its title bar around. The windows drags around slowly and CPU for the exe jumps to 20% or more.
AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

I don't have this problem with the window. I downloaded the version on this page. Autocomplete doesn't work. Capitalization works. I did not delete the configuration files. I check by temporarily renaming the exe file.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

AZJIO wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:20 pmI downloaded the version on this page.
Same for me. Size = 5,496,320 bytes.
AZJIO wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:20 pmAutocomplete doesn't work.
It does for me - see my GIF above.
AZJIO wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:20 pmI did not delete the configuration files. I check by temporarily renaming the exe file.
Renaming the exe won't make a difference - you need to delete or move the PureBasic folder in %APPDATA% before running the exe, if you want to do a proper clean test.
AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

BarryG wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:31 pm Renaming the exe won't make a difference - you need to delete or move the PureBasic folder in %APPDATA%
I don't think that reading the configuration data will change anything. Then the reason would be quickly identified by checking the reading results.
Here is a video with the renamed configuration files folder
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

But you're using PureBasic 6.02 in that video (in the IDE title bar, and the About dialog). I'm using 6.03 Beta 8 in my IDE title bar and About dialog. My bug report is for the latest beta version of PureBasic, not older versions.
ChrisR
Addict
Addict

Post by ChrisR »

Yes, that's why Autocomplete doesn't work for you, scintilla has changed with mods in the IDE.
You must use the latest IDE above version 6.03 beta8 x64
BarryG wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:37 am Hi Fred, I just found a new bug with this IDE beta: when you open the Prefs window, click and drag its title bar around. The windows drags around slowly and CPU for the exe jumps to 20% or more.
I do not reproduce here but I am reproducing this one
BarryG wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:45 am I then typed "endif" (all lower-case) and then cursored back two characters, then cursored up one line, but "endif" didn't auto-capitalize to "EndIf"? I'm not sure if it's meant auto-capitalize like that with the default prefs? Here's a small gif showing this:

AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

BarryG wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:18 pm But you're using PureBasic 6.02
Ok, I had to say this. In previous posts there was a question about how it behaves with the old Scintilla.dll, so it was not difficult to check.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

The slow IDE scrolling bug still exists in Beta 10, so I'm using the custom "PureBasic.exe" that Fred released in this topic a few posts back, as it's NOT slow.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

I just build another version of the IDE to help us to test 2 things:
- It includes a new Radix sort to dramatically improve perfs on large sources (see Timo's PR: https://github.com/fantaisie-software/p ... c/pull/250)
- It's built with the new runtime (UCRT+VC2022) using PB 6.10 (it's bigger because it includes the Scintilla component, no DLL is needed anymore).

https://www.purebasic.com/beta/windows_ ... eBasic.exe

Could you give it a shot to see if all is working as expected ?
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Fred wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:46 pmCould you give it a shot to see if all is working as expected ?
Hi Fred. Yes, I can confirm that this version is NOT slow - I can scroll down my large source (down-arrow key) and across long lines (right-arrow key) with no jerkiness, delays or glitching at all. It's silky smooth! Thank you so much.

The "EndIf" autocomplete feature now works again, too. Thanks!

HOWEVER; the Prefs window is still slow to follow the mouse when I move it around; and the IDE's CPU spikes in Task Manager (16%) when moving it:

Last edited by BarryG on Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

Big thanks to Barry for helping diagnose and test this for the community. We are getting a more stable product because of testers like Barry.
Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️