Keyed access file or similar?

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
jhendrickx
New User
New User

Keyed access file or similar?

Post by jhendrickx »

Hi, I came from Business BASIC (BBx, ProvideX, PxPlus, etc), and bought a PureBASIC because I used it several (many!) years ago, and I liked it a lot. But, now, I think perhaps I can write some programs in PB instead of Business BASIC; but my main concern is I don't know if there a file storage similar to Business BASIC, where I can do:

! MYFILE is simple file, like STUDENTS.DAT or XXX.TXT or NOTHING.PNG, just with an internal structure
open(chan)MYFILE$
input "Key: ",cust_code$
read (chan,key=cust_code$)
write(chan)

The record access is made by a string (alphanumeric) key and is almost instantly; not Databases, no external tools, just a plain file with a excellent I/O method, and very fast (and we can store millions of records). Of course the language also support DataBase access, but that's not the question for me...

I've read a lot of pages, and only found a map structure that looks like keyed files, but I don't know if they can be used in the same (or similar) way. I know each language has is advantages and differences, but I'm used to this kind of storage and is ideal (for me) in small projects.

Best regards,
Jean H//
jassing
Addict
Addict

Re: Keyed access file or similar?

Post by jassing »

I suppose you could use preference... but really, there WAS something else going on - some library that was linked in to provide that functionality.
I suppose you could say if you use sqlite, nothing "external" is used, it's all in one exe and provides full database support.
I think (I'm not sure) but if you search forums for "simple database" or "text database" you'll find code for something simple; but I'm not sure it will still work; I recall it from years ago, and purebasic has a way of dropping or changing functions over time.
I think preferences will be your simplest & easist solution.
jhendrickx
New User
New User

Post by jhendrickx »

Thanks for yourfast and kindly answer ... I'll look into preferences.

Jean H//
jassing
Addict
Addict

Post by jassing »

jhendrickx wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:55 pm Thanks for yourfast and kindly answer ... I'll look into preferences.
it's not ideal by any stretch, but it's probably the closest thing you're after...
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

It does sound a bit like you want to use a huge file with fixed-length records to avoid using some kind of database "for speed reasons".

You can simply do that in purebasic with the file commands - where you use fileseek to position absolutely on a specific record.

IMHO it is a bad idea from the past, but you can easily implement that in purebasic.

Databases can be super fast, a better way would probably to find the best database solution for your task and access it with purebasic.
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

If you use a structure with fixedstrings instead of dynamic one, you can write it to disk in one go with https://www.purebasic.com/documentation ... edata.html and use fileseek (using SizeOf(YourStructure))
jhendrickx
New User
New User

Post by jhendrickx »

Thanks! I'll take a look into the answers!

Jean H//