Ability to specify terminal emulator in Linux

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
ColeopterusMaximus
User
User

Ability to specify terminal emulator in Linux

Post by ColeopterusMaximus »

In Linux when creating and running console applications from the IDE the current Purebasic (v6.0.2) behaviour seems to be hard-coded to try to run Gnome-Terminal and if that is not available then run xterm as last resort.

In my case I have two DEs installed in my computer, Gnome-Desktop and XFCE. I use Gnome exclusively for testing and I rather prefer to use xterm or xfce-terminal than Gnome-Terminal. Not just because of personal preference but also because in "gnome-terminal 3.48.1-1" when running the PB application Gnome-Terminal doesn't show any text, the terminal is blank.

I can remove the Gnome-Terminal executable and substitute it with a symlink to xterm as a workaround, however when Gnome-Terminal package is updated it obviously overwrites the symlink. So this solution is not the best.

What I think would work best is for Purebasic to run "x-terminal-emulator" instead first, then Gnome-Terminal, then xterm, so "x-terminal-emulator" can be symlinked to whatever terminal emulator we want to use thus achieving maximum flexibility with the least amount of effort :D

x-terminal-emulator is used in Debian/Ubuntu via the alternatives system to specify a default terminal, using this would allow one to specify the default terminal in Linux without much fuss.