Official Linux distribution for PureBasic

Linux specific forum
W4GNS
User
User

Re: Official Linux distribution for PureBasic

Post by W4GNS »

Janni wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:06 am

The download links of PB only show Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04, but it's comforting to hear that it will also work in 22.04. Then I can safely upgrade.
Thank you :)
With a little effort PB should run on most any Linux distro. I run PB on MX Linux with no issues.
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

PB works fine on Debian 11 x64 (use: (Ubuntu 20.04 - x64 package))
So should work on most Debian based distributions. (Ubuntu, etc)

It also works perfectly on THE real perfect distribution: Slackware 15.

In any case, just follow instructions the new INSTALL file inside package.

:wink:
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

W4GNS wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:28 pm I run PB on MX Linux with no issues.
Me too :) Used as my main distro since MX-16. Ran Mepis before that, one of the "parents" of MX and first Linux machine I installed PB on - worked fine! As MX is closely based on Debian Stable it's an easy match for Fred's releases.
Marc56us wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:41 am It also works perfectly on THE real perfect distribution: Slackware 15.
Excellent!! - must try it when I get time.
emm
New User
New User

Post by emm »

Hi everybody

Fred, you will get lots of opinions on this thread and obviously the 32 bits users will ask their distro to be supported.

I think it would be good to work this way:

1- get a clear idea of the number of users who are actually use PB to build 32 bits executable in the last year.
You can get that kind of information by making a poll on the purebasic download page, the main doc page online and the forum plus watching specific 32 bits request on the PB forum for the last year.

2- compare that kind of demand to the non specific demand (ie 64 bits that is the 64 bits downloads counts of PB versions).

3- get a clear idea of what they make on the 32 bits as type of applications, what kind of functions / datatypes / structures they use, to determine what's most important for 32 bits user to get implemented first?

If 32 bits is a very very tiny part of the demand and they don't especially require any update because they don't ask for specific new functions, it makes sense to simply keep a reliable version quite static for them and put all your efforts on making the 64 bits versions better.

And if a BIG name or BIG user still use 32 bits then ask him / her to cash out so you can put some efforts in improving the 32 bits version if he / she requires it.

On the other hand, if you're a fond of 32 bits architectures and love programming it, then why not investing a significant amount of time on it because that what gives you a high? Anyway your consumers vote with their money so if they all went 64 bits, then I think that's what you need to support according to the income they generate.

Also if PB is used to make demos and the demoscene still use 32 bits architecture, it makes sense to support the 32 bits. But are they making demos on linux 32 bits? Check the demand on demoscene portals.

It's a bit like if you own a car from the 30's then you know that any kind of repair you'll have to get done will cost you relatively far more for the same service than for a new car: car mechanic able to repair 30's car are a rarity like those cars. The owner may argue that his 30's car is far better built then newer cars, the point is you as a regular car mechanic / application coder can't spent a big amount of time and money on it because your main market is new cars / 64 bits CPU / GPU / OS / APIs (and with the complexity of Linux distros you can't spend time on covering any wim).

Useful links:

Linux stats usage: 47% of developers use Linux, Linux, the third most popular desktop OS, has a market share of 2.09%. (Statista):
https://truelist.co/blog/linux-statistics/

So almost nobody uses Linux as a Desktop OS but this 'nobody' counts for 47% of developers ;)

To get to know exactly how popular which distro is when it comes to PB usage, you need to check your logs:
what the overall linux market says is not what your logs says because the overall market is not the PB market.
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

What changes will there be to the list of official distributions for 6.10? For x86 and Raspberry have already been indicated in the announcement.
Dawn will come inevitably.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

For 6.10, the linux requirements will be the same than 6.04 (except for Linux x86 as you said)
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

emm wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:01 pmAlso if PB is used to make demos and the demoscene still use 32 bits architecture, it makes sense to support the 32 bits. But are they making demos on linux 32 bits? Check the demand on demoscene portals.
The demoscene hardly uses purebasic though. Especially on 32bit where the architecture has a lot of limitations. I don't know if there are any high rated demoscene products that where written in purebasic and target 32bit. Can you name any?

The demoscene traditionally (often) used assembly. Up to the point that demoscene coders of the past 32bit area often use a specific assembler for "compilation". Anyway - 32bit purebasic is still available in the museum, so if you rely on purebasic 32bit, you can happily use it. It's just "limited" to the older versions, but anybody who still develops on 32bit in 2024, needs to know how to deal with more serious limitations anyway.
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All