The Izzy Squirel game for user Kuron

Advanced game related topics
Kamarro
User
User

The Izzy Squirel game for user Kuron

Post by Kamarro »

Kuron wrote: ↑29 Jan 2023, 06:49
"My all-time fave PB made game has to be Izzy the Busy Squirrel. It used the native engine and it was a blast to play. Very addictive."
I lost that game when I moved a few years back and I miss it very much. Would rebuy it if I could remember the site that was selling it (if it still exists)."
This is the link of the game you were talking on another Topic? It's not PureBasic, but it might be the first version, or the remake, since this is a 3D game that looks like a 2D. But, although, I gave you the link on a Topic that is now closed. Don't know if it was useful for you:

The link for the game is: https://backups.rsbasic.de/IzzyInstaller.exe Hope you may remember your Fav game!

And I can also show you a screen from the install, and another from the game. In my opinion, this is far from being a good game, it's too random for my taste, the music becomes annoying very fast and you have to start playing until you can press M to stop Music. But the idea is quite interesting, specially for kids to help with their memory. No strategy at all, just a drop and remember what-and-where. It could be much better if well worked with variations, tricks and a much faster and better interface!

Kuron
Addict
Addict

Re: The Izzy Squirel game for user Kuron

Post by Kuron »

That was it, and it IIRC was written using the native 3D engine in PB. At that time, it was among the first 3D offerings. I happily downloaded the game from this link, found my email with the registration info, installed the game and tried to run it and it crashes with the error "Cannot initialize DirectX/OpenGL".

Grr! So close... I have tried it under various emulation settings and still the same issue.

Thank you so much for finding this for me. Now, if I can figure out how to get it working. :mrgreen:

Yes, a simple game, but the purpose of a desktop game is an easy distraction for a few minutes while you take a break from whatever you are working on.
Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

Kuron wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:35 am I happily downloaded the game from this link, found my email with the registration info, installed the game and tried to run it and it crashes with the error "Cannot initialize DirectX/OpenGL".
Grr! So close... I have tried it under various emulation settings and still the same issue.
Thank God it's this.
I had no need of any registration, but I just played it a couple of times to check the random factor. Maybe if I continue to use it, it asks for a register code or something like that. Maybe it's cracked... Don't know!
About the "How to Run it", well lucky me, it was running at first try, but I was using an iMac with Windows 7 Pro, on Parallels Desktop. Maybe you have a "TOO GOOD" machine, it that exists?!

If you have one of those new 3060, 4080, etc. VGA cards with ultra settings, try to check the parameters about the OpenGL, or chose an older version of Direct/X if available. Most people says that using Windows NT and Admin Mode on Emulation settings, help a lot with old programs. I had, in times, always choosed Windows XP, but I never used Windows 10 or 11 until a few months ago. I still prefer Windows 7 and keep it on all my
machines (including Parallels Desktop), except for programs like 3D Studio, Maya and Flight Simulator v2020 that only run well on Windows 10.

Try to disable all the GREAT things, or, as I did, run the install from a folder inside Programs X86... I don't have enough data to help you more.
Hope that you figure out how to make it work on your machine!
Cheers!
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

Now, when I look at my own image, the second one, I see something like TIMED DEMO on it. Okay, I didn't used it too much. :?
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

My computer is current and can run normal DX/GL stuff fine. The old versions of the 3D engine were quirky at best. If it doesn't run, it doesn't run. Sucks, but can't change it.

As long as any games I make (2D and won't be using the 3D engine) work on my system and the majority of my old stuff works, I am happy. :mrgreen:

Thank you for your effort, it is much appreciated. ^5's
bmon
User
User

Post by bmon »

Hello ...

Boy-oh-boy am I going to make you guys happy! I just stumbled upon this post but I am the original creator of "Izzy". Yes, it was originally created with PureBasic, but since it was an .exe file, there were misguided concerns with people wanting to download and play it. Couple of years ago, I recreated the game in a competitor's software so that it could be played within a browser instead. You can visit my website and play for FREE! As well as shoot some pool if you like ... :)

Visit here: www.pencilwedgees.com/games.html to play ... (apologize if against forum rules to post a link)

I still VERY MUCH enjoy PureBasic and recently used it to create software that allows us to design different floorplan layouts for events we have at work.

Anywho, please enjoy the gameplay!

Bruce
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

Thank you, Bruce. Nice to see you pop in and indeed I love your game. This conversation started in another thread where I mentioned I had found the new version. I used to always avoid online versions of games (slow connection and computer), but it is a moot point now as I have a really good connection. Online or offline, this is a fun little diversion with wonderful graphics. :mrgreen:
bmon
User
User

Post by bmon »

I can relate to having a slow connection. I think my brain operates at the whopping speed of a 2800 baud modem. :shock:

Glad that you were able to locate it again and thank you for your kind words my friend ...
Bruce