M1 first experience - now Ventura

Mac OSX specific forum
WilliamL
Addict
Addict

M1 first experience - now Ventura

Post by WilliamL »

My first experiences with M1 version of Pure Basic was quite good. Everything ran! The IDE is buggy but not too difficult to use.

-First time running program there were odd behaviors but they cleared up after using it. I find I have to select the compiler every time I switch PB versions. The non M1 versions run fine and are a possible fall-back.

-Text seemed slightly wider and some gadget fields were too narrow causing them to be blank which caused me some confusion. I found going down one size (12 pt to 11 pt) helped.

-The window title and toolbar being on one line can effect the position of gadgets. There is an easy work-around for the original 2 lines on the forum

- I have scroll bars in all my gadgets and I'm not sure if it is due to the size the existing fonts being too large or if it is a 'feature' of PB. There is an easy work-around to supress them on the forum.

-PlayMovie doesn't work (hasn't for some time) but there are some easy work-arounds on the forum

-There isn't any ability to click on a file to load an app yet which is quite inconvenient.

Hey, add your own comments...
Last edited by WilliamL on Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook Pro-M1 (2021), Sonoma 14.3.1 (CLT 15.3), PB 6.10b7 M1
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Re: M1 first experience

Post by mk-soft »

-The window title and toolbar being on one line can effect the position of gadgets. There is an easy work-around for the original 2 lines on the forum
This is now the standard for macOS.
But you have found the solution.
- I have scroll bars in all my gadgets and I'm not sure if it is due to the size the existing fonts being too large or if it is a 'feature' of PB. There is an easy work-around to supress them on the forum.
I also have this with macOS Big Sur and the PB Intel version.
-There isn't any ability to click on a file to load an app yet which is quite inconvenient.
I don't know what you mean by that.
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
WilliamL
Addict
Addict

Re: M1 first experience

Post by WilliamL »

Hi mk-soft,

Thanks for your input. It had been quite awhile since upgrading my system and maybe some of these issues already existed.
I was able to click on the data file of a program and it would cause the app to open and load the file. Fred gave us the code 10 years ago and it's not working on the M1. I posted it as a bug report (not really a bug) here https://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?t=78784 hoping it would get Fred's attention.
WilliamL
Addict
Addict

Re: M1 first experience-Ventura

Post by WilliamL »

I just upgraded to Ventura and had to re-install the 'Command Line Tools'.

Double-clicking on a file to run the app still doesn't work. viewtopic.php?t=78784

Everything is compiling fine now.