OpenGL 3D Game Tutorials

Advanced game related topics
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

OpenGL 3D Game Tutorials

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

As I have discuss in this thread viewtopic.php?t=79510 I 'm releasing a series of tutorials about how to create a 3D game from scratch. After few days of consideration I decided to go with GLFW instead of SDL2. In order to have access to OpenGL on every platform I have chosen to use the GLEW library. Later on I will probably add OpenAL for sounds but first is to have something that look like a game up and running.

As I have mentioned in the survey I don't have a computer with Windows or a Mac Computer so it will be very difficult for me to test the tutorials. I will do my best to make the source code as cross-platform as possible but there is no warranty what so ever. Depending on the popularity, I will possibly create a website dedicated for this project. I will do my best to upload a tutorial once every 2 weeks but again I'm still in a learning process my self so be kind if nothing is being added for 3 or 4 weeks.

The source codes, unless specified otherwise, will be released under MIT license.

So if your are interested in this project make sure you have this first tutorial up and running. Instructions are written inside the "Game - Main.pb" file. Also if you are using Windows or MacOS please post back in the forum what you did to make it working, thanks in advance.

The source code is now available on GitHub :

3D-Game-Tutorial-001 A Window with a red screen + some program basic mechanics.
3D-Game-Tutorial-002 Two rotating dragons
3D-Game-Tutorial-003 Procedural terrain generation with tree and fern + 2 wood crates, 2 torus, 2 spheres and 2 capsules.

Best regards
StarBootics
Last edited by StarBootics on Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Stone Age did not end due to a shortage of stones !
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Re: OpenGL 3D Game Tutorials

Post by StarBootics »

Reserved for later use !
yuki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by yuki »

Thanks for doing this! Really interested to see where this series goes.

If I may suggest, a hosted git repo (GitHub/GitLab/etc.) of some sort would be lovely. Not only would it make having a glance at things simpler but would also better facilitate change/issue tracking and collaboration (if you're open to that).
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

yuki wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:15 pm Thanks for doing this! Really interested to see where this series goes.

If I may suggest, a hosted git repo (GitHub/GitLab/etc.) of some sort would be lovely. Not only would it make having a glance at things simpler but would also better facilitate change/issue tracking and collaboration (if you're open to that).
Thanks, for showing interest.

And I have a GitHub account already but I have to learn how to use it. So for the time being I will use my Dropbox account. But yes sometime in the near future the source code will be on GitHub.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know that the first 2 tutorials are uploaded on GitHub. That being said, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to upload each tutorial into it's own Repository. I will run out of space on my account pretty darn soon especially if I upload 3D models along the source code. The Stanford Dragon model I use in the 2nd tutorial take more than 5 MB of space.

I 'm considering to create a single fully operational program Let me know what you think.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know, the 3rd tutorial source code has been uploaded to Github.

Best regards
StarBootics
Janni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Janni »

Thanks for sharing. I'm bookmarking this.
Spec: Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, i7-3770K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Janni wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:20 pm Thanks for sharing. I'm bookmarking this.
Thanks for showing interest.

Just to let you known that I'm currently learning how to use Blender to create characters for this project. Even if I'm generally comfortable with 3D software I have some trouble with have the hang of it.

Also I'm currently working on a Collada *.dae file loader as well so I will not be able to upload another tutorial for few weeks. Be patient !

Best regards
StarBootics
Mijikai
Addict
Addict

Post by Mijikai »

Thanks for sharing.
I could not get the 3D-Game-Tutorial-002 to run, i get linker errors for all gl functions (Windows x64 - PB 6.0 C)
Only tested 3D-Game-Tutorial-002.
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Untested instructions on how to proceed for Windows are inside the 3D-Game-Tutorial-001. As I have said I don't have a recent computer with Windows installed to test my self. If you can put them to the test and report your findings back here that would be great.

Best regards
StarBootics