Relatively affordable 1GB internet?

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
yoxola
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Relatively affordable 1GB internet?

Post by yoxola »

I've been notified an offer for a 1GB/600M(up/down) internet for $50 per month(was $80 per month), but the contract period is 2 years.

It's tempting, but I'm on 300M/100M for $35 per month and I'm running some sites, things seems enough for me. I'm wondering is there any use for such a high bandwidth? Maybe make a free hosting for everyone here, offering downloading space, or host a game server?

BTW, is $50 a month too much for internet cost (generic income in my country is about $1700 per month)? And Starlink seems coming, which will offer very cheap internet.

I hope the 1GB internet won't burn my router, sometimes when I'm streaming or downloading Steam games, the router become so hot, especially in the summer.
This field was left intentionally as signature.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Re: Relatively affordable 1GB internet?

Post by skywalk »

I pay $40/mo for 200MB up/ 200MB down. But this is optical connection as not everyone has fiber to the home.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

If your computer (net card) doesn't support that speed, you can't take advantaje of this conection speed. Also, two years is a world. I think with your actual conection you already have a nice speed/cost
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Yes, Most LAN cards support 1GB, but the routers and switches were slower to deploy and many I have are still 10MB - 100MB.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Zebuddi123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Zebuddi123 »

Hi yes I have. Here in the UK I have (1.2Gb down / 56Mb up) connnection £59.00 per month with "Virgin Media" with supplied router 1gb, testing with "Fast.com" it shows my connection as 1.2Gb etc. As I mess about with UE5 Large project file materials fbx`s etc fastest download so far was 113 megabytes/psec. As Long time customer it was only £7.00 a month more form £52.00 they wanted top charge for 500d/36u. but had no problems and glad i did. I t hink $50.00 for 1000d/600u is great grab it. :)

Zebuddi.

malleo, caput, bang. Ego, comprehendunt in tempore
yoxola
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by yoxola »

Well, I have upgraded my equipments to gigabit compatible when I have a 300/100 connection about 1 year ago, and I can notice most of my Steam game downloaded in a blink, which feels not bad.

I also have a NAS to do some work when I'm not using my computer, so it makes downloading and store files easier.

One benefit is I got a stand alone fixed IP along with a few dynamic IP, so I can use fixed IP to host sites and domains, if I'm using dynamic IP, I can still access my host with SSL VPN, just like working at home, 100MB upload speed is enough to streaming some of my movies and animes at decent rate.

The major drawback is the Reverse DNS is not supported, so I can't make a reliable mail server.
This field was left intentionally as signature.
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

I had 900 / 115 broadband from Cuckoo (£55/m 30 day rolling contract), I tried stepping it down to 98 / 20 for a month (£40/m 30 day rolling contract) just to see if the extra £15/m was really worth it and I've never stepped it up again.

So that's my experience, 98 / 20 has proved to be enough even with my sons playing XBox games online and my daughters watching netflix.
AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

I pay $7 for a speed of 2-16 MB/s (megabyte, not megabit), that's enough for me. At what in the majority the Internet is idle.