Making money with purebasic

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
punak
User
User

Making money with purebasic

Post by punak »

Hi
have any of you ever been able to earn a significant income with pb? if yes, please tell us a little about your experience.
VB6_to_PBx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Making money with purebasic

Post by VB6_to_PBx »

punak wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:04 pm Hi
have any of you ever been able to earn a significant income with pb? if yes, please tell us a little about your experience.
i don't think the Programming Language matters as much as how great + useful + and how much need there is for your Software !

i've done very well with VB6.0
i hope to do much better with PureBasic , i'll know more in a Month or so with my 1st PureBasic commercial software,
and i have a bunch of PB commercial softwares coming out this year

one big advantage with PureBasic is : no more installation like with VB6 programs
ability to create one stand-alone .EXE

PureBasic .... making tiny electrons do what you want !

"With every mistake we must surely be learning" - George Harrison
punak
User
User

Post by punak »

Thank you for your response. most of all, I mean, did you create a project that had a good income with pb? if yes, introduce it briefly. i do not intend to compare pb power with other programming languages in this topic because it has been discussed a lot.
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

This is an example of a commercially successful project realized in PureBasic:
https://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?t=31578

Sadly, Ralph passed away in 2011:
https://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?t=48053

He was a person with a unique sense of humor, and he is still missing here.
RIP.
ebs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ebs »

have any of you ever been able to earn a significant income with pb?
An emphatic YES!

For many years (12+), my company has developed its products in PureBasic. All of our current products except one are written in PB.

We were a Visual Basic 6 developer and when I saw where VB6 was going (.NET), I got us into PB.
I chose PB specifically because of its ability to create tiny, fast programs, with easy connectivity to ODBC databases, built-in XML, JSON, and HTTP/FTP/email support.

In addition to our main healthcare middleware products, I have also used PB to develop custom software to run currency exchanges, manage general contractor construction operations, and other industries.

https://www.emscorp.biz/
punak
User
User

Post by punak »

thanks to everyone. Please continue because it is inspiring. I try not to post on this topic anymore and watch more.
swhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by swhite »

Hi

I run host authorization services for cardlock fueling across Canada written in Purebasic. I also created a Fuel Site Controller for dispensing fuel similar to commercial gas stations and a payment gateway to Nuvei also written in Purebasic.

Simon
Simon White
dCipher Computing
dige
Addict
Addict

Post by dige »

Hi, I developed and successfully sold an image database with PB.
Currently it is not nore running so well, because the software is not signed and there are always false positive virus warnings. This is not because of PB, but because I no longer have so much time to take care of such things...
"Daddy, I'll run faster, then it is not so far..."
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

My actual fulltime job (severeal years) is mainly based on program development with PureBasic.
It's dificult to find a job where you can use a not so extended language like PB, but If you demostrates you can do what the enterprise need, some times the luck is with you, and your job becomes your passion :wink:
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

yoxola wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:21 pm From this source:

https://www.binarydefense.com/threat_wa ... ansomware/

I think someone made money with it, and similar things are still happening...
Sometimes criminals have successfully used https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Army_knife :D
Dawn will come inevitably.
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

I did for a while... Pro Tip: Avoid sites like Guru and Upwork like the plague; Unless helping a stranger compete with IBM or Microsoft for $250.00 is something you'd be interested in....
The truth hurts.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

dige wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:29 amCurrently it is not running so well, because the software is not signed and there are always false positive virus warnings
Signing your software doesn't guarantee to prevent false positives: there's lots of posts by developers on StackOverflow that mention they bought signed certs but their apps still get falsely flagged, so they wasted their money trying to get of rid false positives that way.
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

tj1010 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:31 amUnless helping a stranger compete with IBM or Microsoft for $250.00 is something you'd be interested in....
😂️
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

BarryG wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:51 am
dige wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:29 amCurrently it is not running so well, because the software is not signed and there are always false positive virus warnings
Signing your software doesn't guarantee to prevent false positives: there's lots of posts by developers on StackOverflow that mention they bought signed certs but their apps still get falsely flagged, so they wasted their money trying to get of rid false positives that way.
Yes, sadly true.

What did work for me, is to manually contact each and every AV creator who had false positives with my apps. I know that is annoying and tedious work that you need to do with each release, but that is what worked for me.

The situation is not fun for the AV companies either, but i experienced that when i simply sticked to reporting each and every false positive, the following versions would get less false positives and that also reduced my work over time.

Nowadays, i simply treat the inevitable false positive reports that happen after a release, as part of the regular post-release process. Just like the QA cycle is the last step after development.

That's just how software development business life in 2022 simply is (imho).
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

And as I said in another post, I switched from compiling as 32-bit to 64-bit and now get zero false-positives. Using 32-bit for my main app would give me like 25 false-positives on VirusTotal, but the exact same app in 64-bit gets none. So there's obviously some code pattern/signature in the 32-bit compiler triggering the alerts, which is very likely due to that damn PureLocker virus that came out.