Purebasic and Windows 98

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
oakvalley
User
User

Purebasic and Windows 98

Post by oakvalley »

Hi everybody,

Wondering if anybody know which version of PureBasic was the last to support Windows 98?
I have a old computer I need to create a reminder software for, so didn't check right now if even PB5.70 would work?
Regards Stone Oakvalley
Currently @ PB 5.70
oakvalley
User
User

Re: Purebasic and Windows 98

Post by oakvalley »

Ok, found it myself after some checking inside Museum

Version 5.24 LTS - 30th October 2014 (lastest version with Windows 98 support)
Regards Stone Oakvalley
Currently @ PB 5.70
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

I hope this old computer is not connected to the internet. :lol:
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
oakvalley
User
User

Post by oakvalley »

hehe, actually, it will be, since I need to VNC to it. No problem with that, nobody's gonna care about a slow minipc Windows 98SE anymore :-)
Regards Stone Oakvalley
Currently @ PB 5.70
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

Today's viruses fail because of the old operating system :mrgreen:
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

oakvalley wrote:hehe, actually, it will be, since I need to VNC to it. No problem with that, nobody's gonna care about a slow minipc Windows 98SE anymore :-)
That wont help you. Mass exploits happen automatically to use machines as zombie for a (bot)net. For that, any machine on the net is "good enough" - many are single-use throwaway resources after all.
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

Exactly. Botnets are the problem here. Just make sure only the VNC port is open to that machine and nothing more. Browsing today's websites with a Windows 98 PC will probably no longer work anyway because of the encryption standards. If your router is able to create a VPN for your home than it is even better to open no port at all to the Win98 machine from the internet.
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
Joris
Addict
Addict

Post by Joris »

I'm quit a noob on this, so for my XP system I have a image (safely on a external SDD) which in case of trouble is easy and fast to reinstal. For me there are still many reasons why I have XP in use (and waiting for Reactos to be usefull).

Yet...
Is there any PB-source which gives (a lot of) controle on these port settings.
I'de like to have something like 'a software on-off-switch' for all internet-activity (simply said : equal to disconnecting the cable). Thanks.
Yeah I know, but keep in mind ... Leonardo da Vinci was also an autodidact.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Joris wrote:I'de like to have something like 'a software on-off-switch' for all internet-activity (simply said : equal to disconnecting the cable).
Found this online somewhere once. Run this batch file with admin rights. Replace "Ethernet" in all lines with your network name. Done.

Code: Select all

@echo off
echo Please wait ... toggling internet ...
netsh interface show interface name="Ethernet" | find /i "Connected" >nul && set "toggle=DISABLE"
netsh interface show interface name="Ethernet" | find /i "Disconnected" >nul && set "toggle=ENABLE"
netsh interface set interface "Ethernet" %toggle%
echo Process completed
pause
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

It would be wise to just install latest Ubuntu and not risk old loopholes.
PB code should work fine on Linux with minimal gui content.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
oakvalley
User
User

Post by oakvalley »

@skywalk
Thats a nice idea, but if Linux get a problem, im pretty much stuck. I can solve everything pretty much when deadling with Windows.
Indeed the PB code would work on linux, as the tool is only a date select/reminder/save/timer thingy.

Nice info about botnet, actually I'll only connect to it via VNC when needed I think now :-)
The rest of the time it dont really need ethernet at all.
Regards Stone Oakvalley
Currently @ PB 5.70
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

I only mentioned Linux because I resurrected many old PC's as media servers that now have incredible uptimes and no bloat. PB automation is icing on the cake.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Mistrel
Addict
Addict

Post by Mistrel »

There's nothing wrong with using Windows 98 if he has a use case for it. Though I would recommend Windows Me as I've generally had better stability from it. It also supports both vxd as well as Windows 2000 WDM drivers.

Modern Linux just isn't well suited for old machines anymore. It's barely tolerable on old Atom hardware with 2GB of RAM. Something like that would be very snappy for Win9x.