chilkat library users?

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
jassing
Addict
Addict

chilkat library users?

Post by jassing »

Hi -- I'm thinking about signing on to a project to do a do a small part; but the project requires me to purchase my own chilkat license which cuts into a good chunk of what I'd make on it.

I see from some posts, that others have tried the library, but not sure if anyone has purchased licenses...
Just wondering if it's worth it for general projects...

Thanks for your thoughts..
Morty
User
User

Re: chilkat library users?

Post by Morty »

Hi.
I didn't bought a licence yet, but I'm thinking about it (for me it's a lot of money). I've tried serveral things with the IMAP Functions and I'm impressed. Everything runs fine - sometimes the library says, that the demo time is over ... but one or two days later it runs fine again. Good enought to develop and test. On their web-page are a lot of examples for purebasic.

Morty
jassing
Addict
Addict

Post by jassing »

It's a lot of money for me too; I'm more or less retired, and do very few programming jobs these days... The license is about 1/3 of what I'd make on the contract (pre-tax), so it only makes sense if I can get more use out of it...
It looks well thought out, and a lot of examples for a lot of languages; which tells me they do a lot of testing/development... If it were 1/2 the cost I'd jump on it w/o thinking too much; but it is expensive, more expensive then my 2 PB licenses...

thanks for your input.

-josh
swhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by swhite »

Hi

I purchased a developer bundle years ago and use both the Windows and Linux libraries. The price for me was not significant because I am working on larger commercial projects. I have found their support to be good and when I found some bugs in the Linux implementation they fixed them quickly.

Simon
Simon White
dCipher Computing
HanPBF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by HanPBF »

Chilkatsoft library is old, stable, still further developed.
No risk at all!
RSBasic

Post by RSBasic »

I use Chilkat for another programming language and it is very good. I don't need it in PB.
Ajm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ajm »

I have used it to write a small imap utility that I needed for some work I was doing. It worked really well and the author is very responsive with any questions and bug fixes.

For me the cost paid for itself in the ease of use and the time I saved.

Regards

Andy
Regards

Andy

Registered PB & PureVision User
wayne-c
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by wayne-c »

I did buy a license last week and I have to admit that the Chilkat Library is the perfect companion for PureBasic as it extends the command set by a large set of very useful functions. I was also contacting the author with a few questions and Matt responded promptly. I am very happy with this purchase so far.

(For my (commercial) product I have used the following powerful extensions from the Chilkat Library: Certificates, Digital Signing, Keystores)
As you walk on by, Will you call my name? Or will you walk away?
davidKain
New User
New User

Post by davidKain »

i know this is old, but as someone who is a HUGE fan of the chilkat library, i cannot recommend it enough to ANYONE. there is DETAILED documentation provided for every single possible scenario you could think of in over a dozen different programming languages. It is my go-to solution for anything network related when I get stuck inheriting an MSACCESS project. WELL worth the investment.
If at first your code doesn't succeed, slam your keyboard down, storm out of the room, curse like a mother effer, and then pick yourself up and debug again.