CentOS 7 and purebasic

Linux specific forum
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

CentOS 7 and purebasic

Post by Bitblazer »

I installed CentOS 7 64-bit with purebasic 5.70 b2 x64
The purebasic IDE doesn't start due to linker complaining about missing /lib64/libstdc++.so.6 functions (see screenshot). The "software" manager says the library is installed. Any hints why it does'nt start? Is it a version problem or some deprecated/changed function calls used in the purebasic linux ide compilation? How can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance.
problem screenshot
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
#NULL
Addict
Addict

Re: CentOS 7 and purebasic

Post by #NULL »

note the ++ in the missing library name.
There is also a checkinstall.sh in the pb directory, which you can run from a terminal to get more information.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Thanks for the reply. I was using checkinstall.sh as recommended, but it fails on centos7 for libxine here) (centos7 problem2. Since i think libxine is some audio library and i dont intend to use audio at all, i tried to proceed without spending time with a fix for something i should'nt really need at all because i don't intend to use audio or video or any multimedia feature at all. checkinstall complains about libxine, sugggests to use libxine2-dev, the centos7 software manager finds libxine installed but neither libxine2 or libxine2-dev.

checkinstall in generell seems like "good idea, but for whatever reason, it is outdated/not working on your current distribution".

ps: i just tried to do what checkinstall suggests literally by pasting the suggested line and with centos it fails fundamentally because apt-get doesnt exist, i guess the package management is completely different and apt-get is from debian/ubuntu based distributions

Ok, i used the centos software GUI to look for libstd++ and i even installed different other compatibility libraries for stdc++ - now i have any package installed that it found, but the purebasic IDE still does'nt start due to the linker errors. See CentOS 7 Linking problem when starting the linux 5.70 b2 purebasic IDE
#NULL
Addict
Addict

Post by #NULL »

I don't know CentOS.
can you install a version 6.. of libstdc++ ? because the screenshot shows lower versions. I never got linker errors when starting the IDE. Maybe its doing checkinstall on startup? You could try to comment out everything in there except the 'exit 0' and then try starting the IDE, just a wild guess.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

#NULL wrote:I don't know CentOS.
can you install a version 6.. of libstdc++ ? because the screenshot shows lower versions. I never got linker errors when starting the IDE. Maybe its doing checkinstall on startup? You could try to comment out everything in there except the 'exit 0' and then try starting the IDE, just a wild guess.
Linux resolves external references just like windows and even dos did. For Linux the commandline command to list the external references of a software is "ldd". I just did "ldd -v purebasic" and it shows the internal references of the linux "purebasic" executable that are resolved on startup of the binary. 'ldd' throws 3 missing references for the purebasic 5.70 b2 binary if its started on centOS 7 x64.

The following is output on STDERR with "ldd -v purebasic" on the 5.70 B2 binary when its started on centOS 7 (latest version, seems to be some redhat based distro, so no apt-get is used, but yum/rpm)

Code: Select all

./purebasic: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by ./purebasic)
./purebasic: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by ./purebasic)
./purebasic: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./purebasic)
I am still working on some kind of fix for this. Let's see if purebasic 5.62 final works. Could be interesting to compare the linker information.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Ok i just installed und verified purebasic 5.62 x64 on centOS 7 and it works without linking problems. Purebasic 5.62 x64 worked "as usual" (just 2 glibc errors during startup/compilation but i got those always and even though the message claims its a critical error, everything seems to work fine. Loaded a purebasic project with about 16 sources, compiled it and the compiled binary works fine.

checkinstall from Purebasic 5.62 fails on libxine too. I guess i will write a bug report for the 5.70 beta2 and will just use 5.62, thanks again :)
sculptor
User
User

Post by sculptor »

Hi
i have now hit this problem and i would like to run pb5.7 on centos7

this is what the centos forum says about a similar issue https://centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66090
Your problem is that that file is not built to run on CentOS. You need to rebuild it or download a different copy that isn't linked against a newer glibc than we ship. Do not attempt to shoehorn a newer libc onto your system or everything else will break. It is the app that needs fixing.
is there a practical solution for me do you think ?
pdwyer
Addict
Addict

Post by pdwyer »

:(

I went down this rabbit hole trying to get PB 5.72 running on Centos 7 but hit a dead end.

I found this which apparently is what we need:
http://ftp.altlinux.org/pub/distributio ... x86_64.rpm

which depends on lots of things but the main ones are:

but the core depends on:

After installing the preinstall2.3 and then trying to install core I get a hard conflict with an earlier version:

# yum install /tmp/glibc-core-2.30-alt1.x86_64.rpm --skip-broken
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks
Examining /tmp/glibc-core-2.30-alt1.x86_64.rpm: 6:glibc-core-2.30-alt1.x86_64
Marking /tmp/glibc-core-2.30-alt1.x86_64.rpm to be installed
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package glibc-core.x86_64 6:2.30-alt1 will be installed
--> Processing Conflict: 6:glibc-core-2.30-alt1.x86_64 conflicts glibc < 6:2.30-alt1
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: ftp-srv2.kddilabs.jp
* extras: ftp.nara.wide.ad.jp
* updates: ftp-srv2.kddilabs.jp
No package matched to upgrade: glibc-core
--> Processing Conflict: 6:glibc-core-2.30-alt1.x86_64 conflicts glibc < 6:2.30-alt1
No package matched to upgrade: glibc-core

Does this mean PB doesn't work with Centos 7x? (meaning I guess that it doesn't work with RHEL either?)

=================================

I tried running 5.51 and its starts and can compile apps but the UI is flaky, text disappears or in the IDE or the screen goes blank.
Since I wanted to run code from 5.7 and some of the functions have changed it would be a lot of backward modification of source.

does anyone have a fix/workaround for this, or know of the latest working version?
Paul Dwyer

“In nature, it’s not the strongest nor the most intelligent who survives. It’s the most adaptable to change” - Charles Darwin
“If you can't explain it to a six-year old you really don't understand it yourself.” - Albert Einstein
pdwyer
Addict
Addict

Post by pdwyer »

I abandoned centos for PB coding and put ubuntu in and it worked right away. :?

next test will be running PB executables on centos that are compiled on ubuntu, hopefully the dependencies don't apply to the output, just the IDE and compiler
Paul Dwyer

“In nature, it’s not the strongest nor the most intelligent who survives. It’s the most adaptable to change” - Charles Darwin
“If you can't explain it to a six-year old you really don't understand it yourself.” - Albert Einstein
pdwyer
Addict
Addict

Post by pdwyer »

A little more light on this.

I have a cheap intel compute stick with Ubuntu 14 on there and I'm limited due to capacity on how much I can upgrade the US although most of the libs I can upgrade. Unlike ubuntu 18 I can't get it to a level high enough to run 5.7x although 5.5x is okay.

It looks like PB has set the bar too high on their build and older systems won't be able to run it.

PB, are there hard dependencies on these higher versions? can you not build 5.7x to run on linux OS'd of a few years back?

Rhel and centos are well known for their conservative release cycle, are the not considered to be in scope of PB's minimum requirements?
Paul Dwyer