Free PureBasic

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Pazl
New User
New User

Free PureBasic

Post by Pazl »

Hi all.
It would be great if one of the old versions, for example PureBasic 4.02, was free. Then one would be able to teach schoolboys using PB. Yes, I know about the educational license, but it does not allow installing PB on schoolboys home computers, which is necessary for solving homework tasks. And unfortunately the school is not ready to buy an educational license. For the smallest countries with low income, € 199 is not small money (me need 2 months to work to earn this money). The school administration offers me to choose a free programming language.
Thanks.
RSBasic

Re: Free PureBasic

Post by RSBasic »

You can order very cheap on Ebay PureBasic, but without updates.
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

The demo version is free and can be used to compile apps up to 800 lines of source code. For teaching, that is more than a sufficient size.
Pazl
New User
New User

Post by Pazl »

RSBasic wrote:You can order very cheap on Ebay PureBasic
It is legal? I need to provide the school administration with evidence that the language is free, or there is a license to teach schoolboys.
Dude wrote:For teaching, that is more than a sufficient size.
I do not want to limit the schoolboys. At the beginning of teach 800 lines is enough, but in the future it may be not enough.
RSBasic

Post by RSBasic »

Maybe, if Fred/freak agree, a monthly subscription would be possible? 4,99/Month?
Or the purchase price in installments?
Or 50-75% discount, but without updates or limited to x years?
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Pazl wrote:I do not want to limit the schoolboys. At the beginning of teach 800 lines is enough, but in the future it may be not enough.
That is the lesson of life. Teach them within the constraints, and they will be better prepared.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
wilbert
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by wilbert »

If PureBasic isn’t affordable, you could consider something like
Visual Studio Community
or
QB64
Windows (x64)
Raspberry Pi OS (Arm64)
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

A program of more than 800 lines is no longer learning, but production.

:idea: To encourage using PB, I think Fred could make a free version but with other classics limitations:

- No limit on the number of lines
- No possibility to use APIs and DLLs (as at present)
- Access only to SQLite databases

:arrow: Do not name it DEMO as currently, but FREE version

PS. When we see the bloatwares used for teaching, we understand that young people are no longer interested in coding. It is not possible to understand the internal functioning of a computer with an object language: it is far too abstract. Python is a good language but a very bad way to understand how memory, input/output management is organized. It is necessary to highlight the BASIC that we (the 'old' 50+) have learned and which allows us to be as close as possible to the CPU and is much simpler and more comprehensible than the assembler or the C. In a word, the pleasure of coding. You can't find it in any other language, they're just programming tools.

:wink:
wilbert
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by wilbert »

Marc56us wrote:It is necessary to highlight the BASIC that we (the 'old' 50+) have learned and which allows us to be as close as possible to the CPU and is much simpler and more comprehensible than the assembler or the C. In a word, the pleasure of coding. You can't find it in any other language, they're just programming tools.
You could still learn programming on an old (virtual) home computer :wink:
Just install an emulator for an old computer like MSX or Commodore 64. 8)
Windows (x64)
Raspberry Pi OS (Arm64)
Pazl
New User
New User

Post by Pazl »

Marc56us wrote:A program of more than 800 lines is no longer learning, but production.
At first 800 lines are enough but in the future this will not be enough. I remember when I was at school and I could not bear the lessons of computer science. All because in the classroom at the lessons we were constantly solving mathematical tasks, but I wanted to learn how to develop programs. Therefore, I will try to teach the guys to develop programs. And for this 800 lines may not be enough.
RSBasic

Post by RSBasic »

You can merge several lines with ":". This allows you to reduce the number of lines.
yoxola
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by yoxola »

me need 2 months to work to earn this money
Hi, can you provide where you live? Or that means you have to save 2 months for 199 Euro?

To discuss about licensing, you can mail Fred, that's a better solution.
This field was left intentionally as signature.
W4GNS
User
User

Post by W4GNS »

Seems to me Python would be a great option for this situation. FREE and open source with lots of modules free for the taking
Nituvious
Addict
Addict

Post by Nituvious »

The demo was a great learning tool for me, the manual was incredibly helpful. 800 lines doesn't sound like a lot, but you can do so much in that amount with PB :)
▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░
Thorium
Addict
Addict

Post by Thorium »

RSBasic wrote:You can merge several lines with ":". This allows you to reduce the number of lines.
It's true, but he probably also wants to teach them good readable syntax. Putting as many as possible commands in one line is not a good lesson to learn.
If an old version would be made free, i think it would be a great solution. Maybe even version 3, if 4 is still to new.