Would be good if PureBasic change is name?

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
swan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Does Purebasic should change its name ?

Post by swan »

Name change - Umm, to what end ?
Not our call anyway and Fred has already stated he's happy as is.
I'm more curious for the reasoning though. The sticking point seems to be with the word "BASIC" and it's public/peer stigma.
I think many of us know an arsenal of languages from which we pick. I don't think any less of a programmer should he choose VB or greater for using C++.
The skill is knowing enough of each language to make the best choice for a project.
I agree to some extent product name is important particularly when starting up. However, PB has been going long enough that it's now judged by it's performance regardless of name.

Only the ignorant would discard anything just by it's name. Yep I know a few ignorants too .....
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

For those of you who don't wish to disclose the Basic nature of your products: if a user asks what language your product was made with, just reply with "it's assembler code compiled with Fasm". This answer is 100% true. ;)
RSBasic

Post by RSBasic »

:lol: +1
Ulix
User
User

Post by Ulix »

"it's assembler code compiled with Fasm"
Well said: I add this to my "About ..." dialog box :wink:

Ulix !
Cyllceaux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Cyllceaux »

Dude wrote:For those of you who don't wish to disclose the Basic nature of your products: if a user asks what language your product was made with, just reply with "it's assembler code compiled with Fasm". This answer is 100% true. ;)
I always say: "I use PB. It is a Macro Assembler" :wink:
zxretrosoft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by zxretrosoft »

Cyllceaux wrote:I always say: "I use PB. It is a Macro Assembler" :wink:
:lol: :idea:
I apologize in advance for bad English
https://zxretrosoft.cz/
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Would be good if PureBasic change is name?

Post by Caronte3D »

Every time someone ask me about the language of my programs, I feel nervious because BASIC have a reputation of toy and low powerred :(
What if PureBasic change is name to someting without the "basic" word? (only "PURE" in example).
What do you think? :?:
fryquez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Would be good if PureBasic change is name?

Post by fryquez »

If you are ashamed of the language you use, well just go.
Once you managed to no longer care about what others think about you and the tools you use,
you will not have to care about that anymore.
STARGÅTE
Addict
Addict

Post by STARGÅTE »

I know what you mean. Especially when you write your CV and you add Pure Basic to the EDP skills, most of the people can't do anything with it.
But I think that's because Pure Basic is a little known language, not because of the keyword "basic".
Changing the name doesn't change the prominence.
The word "basic" is important instead, because it explains the syntax of this language.
The name itself can not reflect the total "power" of this fast compiling, multiple platform and over 20 years experience programming language.
PB 6.01 ― Win 10, 21H2 ― Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB ― NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 ― Vivaldi 6.0 ― www.unionbytes.de
Lizard - Script language for symbolic calculations and moreTypeface - Sprite-based font include/module
Kiffi
Addict
Addict

Post by Kiffi »

I had to rewrite several of my projects from SpiderBasic to bloated NuxtJS projects because the project manager was allergic to the term "Basic".
Hygge
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

Exactly!
Many times I even have to write an entire code, just to demonstrate to a client that I can do it with PureBasic without problems and thus get the job.

I have used several programming languages in the past, but with none have I felt as comfortable and powerful as with PureBasic.

Now I have a stable job where no matter what language is used if the result is as expected, but I hate the smile on the face of some clientes when the word "BASIC" is noticed
ChrisR
Addict
Addict

Post by ChrisR »

I don't have any problem with the name, but I can understand the perception issue.
If it's for a CV or a presentation leaflet it can be good to write just after PureBasic (a powerful language based on basic syntax).

The main concern I see, is why it is not more widely used, given all its quality.
It's not its name but certainly a lack of communication, ads behind it.
It would be nice to hire interns, coming from engineering schools, business school to see how to set up a better communication policy.
And everyone here, who likes Purebasic, should help to promote it in computer magazines, social networks, other forums...
With V6.0, the new C compiler, M1, Raspberry Pi,... I think it's a good time to think about it.
AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

The best advertising is the help documentation. To get more users, you need to show examples of use for all features in the help documentation, and sometimes in different ways. Moreover, the example should be working, so that when it is executed the user receives the result and understands how to apply it for himself.
Here, for some reason, little attention is paid to the reference documentation. At AutoIt3, I was an active participant in improving the reference documentation.
chikega
User
User

Post by chikega »

Object Pascal (Lazarus/FPC, Delphi, PascalABC.Net) seem to have the same issue because it's not trending like the top languages (Python, Javascript, C/C++, C#) or newer trendier languages like (Dart, Kotlin, Swift, Rust, Crystal, Nim, Zig, Elixir... ) ...

But even with so many languages to choose from, languages implemented with Basic-derived syntax are a plenty. There are a lot "basically" vying for your attention. There's quite a mix out there:

Some Basic implementations haven't been updated in a long while.
PowerBasic development essentially stopped when the creator passed away.
TrueBasic by the original creators of Basic. Thomas Kurtz is still alive (93 years old).

Some are very popular with a large online presence and being updated frequently.
B4X (Basic 4 X, Basic 4 Android, Basic 4 Java ...) Basic-like language implemented on the JDK(Java).
QB64 (QuickBasic64) PureBasic would be wise to implement Terrie Ritchie's tutorial.
AGK Studio Level I Basic language with Level II C++, geared for gaming
FreeBasic one of the most C-friendly Basic-derived implementations with some OOP
Xojo(formerly RealBasic) yes, they did change their name :) But not sure if that has helped them or not. Look up [If Not Nil] forum.

Would using a word like "Lobster" or "Beef" make a language more enticing? Maybe, maybe not, but it does make me hungry :lol: .. Lobster and Beef are both real languages, geared for gaming and they do look cool.

Does the word "Basic" taint people's perception of a language? Perhaps, but that didn't seem to prevent these newcomers from using 'Basic' in their new implementations:

These are VB6 compatible:
TwinBasic
RadBasic

VB.Net compatible newcomer:
Mercury VB (RemObjects)
Gary E Chike DMD MS
'Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want' Image
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Caronte3D wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:26 pmEvery time someone ask me about the language of my programs, I feel nervious because BASIC have a reputation of toy
This has been discussed before in great length -> https://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?t=62229

Visual Basic Classic and Visual Basic.NET are still two of the world's biggest programming languages. Even Excel uses Visual Basic Script to this day.

But yes, I've had customers pass on my apps in the past and not buy because it's BASIC; so now I just say it's C. Yeah, it's lying, but I honestly don't care anymore. At the end of the day I want to get paid and make a living, and not discuss names of products that might get in the way of a sale. They were totally happy to use the demo version of my app... until they found out it was BASIC. So no more mentioning BASIC by me. I have no problem with that.

Or do what someone once said here, and just say you write and compile with a special tool to assembly language. This statement is literally not a lie.

PureBasic isn't really that much different to C anyway. Show them this comparison image (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOyaJXpAYZQ).