AVG Threat Secured

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
a_carignan
User
User

AVG Threat Secured

Post by a_carignan »

Hi, I have a problem with AVG's verus detection with software compiled with Pure Basic.
Avg Quarantine Test Software, Why?
Here is an image of the error.
the code is the following
For k = 1 TB 7
   Debug StringField ("I am a string containing fields", k, "")
Next

it happens to me randomly, depending on the mood of AVG. It started a few months ago and it is becoming more and more problematic.

Here is the image of the error.

Thank you for your help.
wombats
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: AVG Threat Secured

Post by wombats »

You can report it to AVG as a false positive: https://www.avg.com/en-ww/false-positive-file-form
RSBasic

Post by RSBasic »

a_carignan wrote:the code is the following
For k = 1 TB 7
Debug StringField ("I am a string containing fields", k, "")
Next
Is it just this code or more code?
If only these 3 lines, then your executable file is too small and suspicious. For example, use UsePNGImageDecoder(), you should get less false positives.
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

Just uninstall your virus protection. If you brain.exe is working you don't need them. And if you want to publish your program you can test it with virustotal.com and send a False-Positive to the company which finds your program suspicious.
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
a_carignan
User
User

Post by a_carignan »

The code I copied is what caused the error displayed in the image I added to my post. This kind of error is a problem that is more and more recurrent and it annoys me each time to declare a false positive. Especially that there is a test software that I can not test because of this quarantine. I know that I can put directories in exception. But, put the temporary directory in exception, I have doubts. The error exists only when I compile the software in x86 version under a Windows 10 in 64 bits. The 64-bit version does not create the same problem.
Replace AVG Anteiverus with Brain, exe asks for reflection.
Thank you for your suggestions. :)
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

Don't put the entire temp directory in exception; just put PureBasic_Compilation0.exe as an exception. (And 1, 2, 3 even).
a_carignan
User
User

Post by a_carignan »

Thanks for the exception stuff for a file. That works well. Replacing the 0 with an "*" allowed all the software to automatically create PureBasic as an exception.
Like this PureBasic_Compilation * .exe.
This does not explain why more and more software is perceived as a positive thing, but it does get around the problem. :D
Trond
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Trond »

In the compiler options, check "create temporary executable in the source directory", then add that to the exceptions.

Also, report the false positive.
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

a_carignan wrote:This does not explain why more and more software is perceived as a positive
Well, the AV companies need to "prove" that they're catching malware where there's really none, right? Otherwise people will stop paying for "protection". :twisted:
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

The bigger the program the better the heuristics and vice versa.
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
VB6_to_PBx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by VB6_to_PBx »

Dude wrote:
a_carignan wrote:This does not explain why more and more software is perceived as a positive
Well, the AV companies need to "prove" that they're catching malware where there's really none, right? Otherwise people will stop paying for "protection". :twisted:
that's exactly the very same thoughts i have about AV companies 8)

a few Days ago i submitted my 7080KB EXE to Virus Total
and only 1 AV flagged it as a Virus , and it was a AV company i've never heard of in that Virus Total List... so thats looking pretty good so far !

a couple of years ago i did a Hello World tiny VB6 EXE and it was flagged by a bunch of AV 's as a Virus

PureBasic .... making tiny electrons do what you want !

"With every mistake we must surely be learning" - George Harrison
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

VB6_to_PBx wrote:a few Days ago i submitted my 7080KB EXE to Virus Total
and only 1 AV flagged it as a Virus
Just make sure you check the same exact exe again a week, and even two weeks, later. You can't rely on the initial VirusTotal results because it updates their results constantly. I've seen VirusTotal report that my exe is clean on the first upload, but then have over 30 malware matches a week later when it was rescanned (with the same file hash!). Something to be aware of.
a_carignan
User
User

Post by a_carignan »

I put my programming directory as an exception, which circumvents the problem. But I feel that the more exception, the less I am protected. :(
a_carignan
User
User

Post by a_carignan »

Dude wrote:
Is good, in addition it is credible :twisted: