General Linux question about exes

Linux specific forum
Dude
Addict
Addict

General Linux question about exes

Post by Dude »

Hi, I'm thinking of trying PureBasic with Linux... if I create an exe with PureBasic on Zorin, can I copy that exe to another Linux distro and it'll run there without needing to install anything else? Like, are the exes truly standalone on Linux like they are for Windows? Is there a newbie guide for using PureBasic with Linux for people like me who've only ever used Windows? Thanks!
Kukulkan
Addict
Addict

Re: General Linux question about exes

Post by Kukulkan »

Hi,

it mainly depends on what your exe is using. If you use only PB functions, it very likely will run with no other dependencies on other x86/64 type of Linux distros (not ARM like Raspberry!). Of course, if you use external libs or non common API, you might need to respect some more dependencies. As on Windows, you have to make sure to have them running on the clients machines. You may need to make a .deb/.rpm to make sure the customer gets all dependencies needed.

You should also look at the PB docs. For example, if you are using the WebGadget, you have to make sure the user is also installing libwebkit. This is what the PB doc is saying.