DialogDesigner2 — a tool to compose XML dialogs

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Re: DialogDesigner2 — a tool to compose XML dialogs

Post by Lunasole »

Lunasole wrote: Probably I spent too much attention on this stuff recently :3
Hah, and spending some more anyway ^^
That recent update has few stupid bugs I've encountered using it daily. Among with few old bugs/flaws exposed.. so there will be new one soon :D
Please tell if someone also got some bugs/missing stuff/mismatches with dialogs library, I'd like to fix similar things with this update (to not meet anymore something like "hyperlink misses 'disabled' property", lol)
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

And finally played with it all a bit ^^

Code: Select all

- Global: reviewed UI code a bit, some things more optimized/made simpler now (maybe it fixes something, maybe brings new problems :3)
  - Property Editor: added missing 'disabled'/'invisible' properties for image, hyperlink, ipaddress, frame, listicon, listview
  - Property Editor: added font attribute for objects supporting it. Also added font property for "dialogs" item, to set default font for all windows/controls
  - Property Editor: now properties using selector (i.e. font, fore/back colors) can be set to empty using RMB click
  - Interface Tree: added menu items to fold/unfold current item and all it's childs
  - Interface Tree: removed wrong delete confirmation displayed on "Cut" (yes, cut = copy + delete ^^)
  - Output: removed trash (extra ReleaseDC call in 'DPI patch') among with other changes to code generation
  - Some other changes (visible or not)
HeX0R
Addict
Addict

Post by HeX0R »

Really a nice tool, but here are some bug reports / improvement requests:
  • The export xml to clipboard makes the tool crash
  • Why is there no possibility to use IDs instead of names?
    The string field is disabled all the time, but I usually go the id-way if I need to convert an already existing Window into a dialog.
    This is the fastest way, I just need to add "Runtime" to my already existing enumerations and all will be fine
  • If I use a multibox with a few containers in it, I can't see anything in the preview, even if I made one of the containers visible
  • I'm not sure I understood your concerns regarding the "Import XML" feature? I spend quite some time to create a huge dialog and due to the crashing of your tool, all is gone...
    Importing XML (even those not made with DD2) would be a hammer feature, if you are afraid of something, maybe offer some own save/load format at least?
    Think about this:
    You've created a huge dialog with DD2 and use it for a while in your app.
    Later you recognize, that you need to extend it, so what now? Begin from scratch? Or edit the XML by hand?
    Sure, both possibilities exist, but anyone will start to think about the real usability of DD2 then
Besides this:
Keep up the good work!
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

@HeX0R

> The export xml to clipboard makes the tool crash
Thank for reportiong, fixed

> Why is there no possibility to use IDs instead of names?
Just because that requires some efforts/time to add, while I'm never using hardcoded numbers/constants in my stuff.
Anyway I have this in TODO already, maybe somehow in future will add

> If I use a multibox with a few containers in it, I can't see anything in the preview, even if I made one of the containers visible
Can you send XML of such case? I've checked with "window > multibox > container1/container2 > buttons" scheme and it is OK.

What about "Import XML" - as I said previously, it is mostly needed for commercial coders, thus I don't like idea to bring it for free.
I'd give versions with import for something like "cup of coffee", but that's still not possible to use Paypal donation service in my country (or something else to withdraw some bucks without much problems). So currently nothing to do with that

PS. Uploaded small update:
- Fixed crash on XML clipboard export
- Internal improvements / UI strings changes
HeX0R
Addict
Addict

Post by HeX0R »

Hi Lunasole,

thanks for the quick fix!
The problem with the multibox was my own mistake (forgot to enter some width/height).

Anyway I'm off here and will create my dialogs still by hand.
Without any possibility to save/load my work, it is senseless, at least for me (and NO, I am no commercial coder).

For creating small dialogs in no time it is still a cool tool!
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

Anyway I've just unlocked that ID property (because that was very easy. though without runtime constants support, that's no such simple), will post it with next version.
HeX0R wrote: Without any possibility to save/load my work, it is senseless, at least for me (and NO, I am no commercial coder).
For creating small dialogs in no time it is still a cool tool!
Or to create initial XML, and then edit it manually.
.. or just to play fool creating extremely large dialogs with CTRL+C & CTRL+V ^^

Btw you can try this stuff (if didn't already):
http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... 12&t=65330
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

Updated to 1.0.1.2 with some changes
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

Thanks!

I don't get why people are so crippled by save and import functions.. I've made large scale UIs with a lot of callbacks using this, and the part where I actually need this tool to generate the XML always takes a couple hours tops and that's where I leave the computer some.. Most of the work is in the PB or SB IDE calibrating, adding to the XML string, and writing handler callbacks..

I made a dynamic-scaling poker game using this which is about as hard as it gets..

P.S. Don't bother using it on even the best Debian distro yet.. GTK stuff is unreliable even just using the old windows and gadget libs.. I had to actually hack a lot of stuff for my Xubuntu/Xfce and GTK 3.90 testing..
The truth hurts.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

Oh, that stuff definitely grew up bigger than I expected when only though to start it ^^

But surely that "work to not work" worth it. I didn't ever created UIs so quick and easy, generally I don't know any IDE or designer of any other actual language which would give similar result with such a small efforts. While all those qt/etc are "truly professional" and allowing to create highly customized interfaces, they are also whole endless pain in your ass because of their complexity results in lot of efforts and time waste (not saying they often are unacceptable due to large shitty runtime).
Purebasic itself is nicely-designed cool stuff which stops you from doing lot of stupid movements performed in other langs, and with DD2 it became just "more cool" ^^ For me UI constructing was annoying from the beginning, now it doesn't.

Anyway I'm here not just to push "eloquent" speeches, here is some update with 3 nice things

Code: Select all

- Added live preview of Fonts/Colors/Tooltips
  - Fixed bug with variable declarations on code export
  - Added option to not include event loop
tj1010 wrote: I don't get why people are so crippled by save and import functions
Just import makes all the things more usable. Or rather re-usable
zikitrake
Addict
Addict

Post by zikitrake »

Lunasole :!: I just logged in to thank you for this utility.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

zikitrake wrote:Lunasole :!: I just logged in to thank you for this utility.
Didn't updated it for a long time though^^ I'm planning to add few more ideas collected for all that time (and improve usability + probably add that import-export), but currently not sure when.
Blue
Addict
Addict

Post by Blue »

I've just read all the post in this topic. Interesting subject.

@ Lunasole : from what I read, your tool seems very promising.
You made me curious. I'll download your tool as soon as I finish this message to see what it does.

But I have a question : 'SB' is often mentioned, as well as 'DD2'.
I have no idea what those initials refer to. Could someone please enlighten me ?

Correction :
After reading Lunasole's readme file, I now know what 'DD2' stands for.
fun fact: many child is children, not childs...
Still in the dark about 'SB' though.

Thank you.
"That's not a bug..." said the programmer. "it's a feature! "
"Oh! I see..." replied the blind man.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Blue wrote:Still in the dark about 'SB' though.
'SpiderBasic
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
Blue
Addict
Addict

Post by Blue »

Many thanks for the colourful answer, @Bitblazer (very nice handle, btw)
"That's not a bug..." said the programmer. "it's a feature! "
"Oh! I see..." replied the blind man.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

Here is 1.0.1.4.
I'm glad a bit that my code is not so terrible to be impossible back to it after such a long time^^
- Unlocked XML import feature (in less than two years!1)
- Now XML/Code export paths using same variable in cfg
- Storing full paths in cfg leaded to annoying behavior on import/export, now it should be simpler
- Few internal changes and some more changes to menu labels