Purebasic Street

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
stombretrooper
New User
New User

Purebasic Street

Post by stombretrooper »

Hello everyone !

I want to show you my new project : Purebasic Street.
I have owned a PureBasic license since 2009. During these few years, I have noticed that internet sites dedicated to PureBasic are missing on the web.

A typical example is the "Tricks' n' Tips" section. It contains great codes that are not highlighted. Actually, once the code becomes a bit old, it's hard to find it. And it is also difficult to know if a developer has already worked on this kind of code.

And this is why I have worked on a website project during recent weeks. Currently, only a single part of the site is functional. The first section of the website is a PureBasic code database. The idea is to offer some alternative to the "Tricks 'n' Tips" section. Except that the Site contains a search engine, and it is possible to set categories to obtain a specific code. Thus, for our respective projects we no longer have to re invent the wheel. So, once you are registered and logged in on the site, you can share the code, upload new versions of the code, write a description, etc...

I think to add new systems as often as possible ;
  • A complete management system for PureBasic open source project (as Github, for those who do not know: Git + Wiki, list of developers and their actions, opportunities to work on a project or copy (fork) ). In fact, I think it lacks big PureBasic open source projects.
  • A system to host PureBasic libraries.
  • A tutorial system.
Maybe, why not, add a kind of social network for PureBasic developers ? But I am hesitant, the idea would be to have a personnal page. This page would contain your profil activity on the site. User could customize this session (write a description, showcase his current project, put an avatar...). Have a system of relationship, and internal messaging.

http://www.purebasicstreet.com/

I am waiting for your feedback, your ideas...
Zach
Addict
Addict

Re: Purebasic Street

Post by Zach »

This looks kind of cool. I hope people get interested in it for sure.

It seems projects like this have come and gone over the years, there are actually several code repositories out there but a lot of them seem old and no longer maintained..

One thing I think is important is that there should be a tag for the Purebasic version, so you can search for code that is tagged to work with your specific PB version (or maybe you have it already? I don't know).

The other thing is, I think there should be a language standard in place for code comments. When you get beyond really simple examples, looking at comments in a language you don't understand is kind of meaningless. I might get some flak for this, but English has long been used as an International standard in a lot of industries, and it is a widely spoken language. Even PB's syntax is in English!

Many times I have seen code examples out on the web of stuff that I can't even begin to follow, because I can't understand what the comments are saying. Maybe a fair compromise though is adding language tags. So you can search for code written and documented in whatever languages you want to see, instead.

This shouldn't be an ego thing, or a pride thing. It should be about facilitating communication to a broad base of users as easily as possible, imho. I know that PB has a lot of users from Europe, but I think the plethora of examples on the web in many different languages is more of a disservice to PB as it keeps us a fragmented, isolated pocket of communities instead of one big community. Which is OK for forums, but for sharing code? :oops:

Well, I'm sure people understand what I am trying to say.
stombretrooper
New User
New User

Post by stombretrooper »

This looks kind of cool. I hope people get interested in it for sure.
I hope too ! :)
It seems projects like this have come and gone over the years, there are actually several code repositories out there but a lot of them seem old and no longer maintained..
I tried to make a modern site.

About the language standard, my native language is not english (sorry for the mistakes), the website is in english because It's the international language of programming, and all plateforms who try to centralize source code, need to choose a standard language : English. Nevertheless, I do not think removing codes if they are not translated. And I will not translate the codes, I do not have time.
Everyone must take responsibility, and translate its codes in English before submitting, same for descriptions.
One thing I think is important is that there should be a tag for the Purebasic version, so you can search for code that is tagged to work with your specific PB version (or maybe you have it already? I don't know).
Currently not with Tag, but in every code description you need to put the purebasic version used to make the code (a part of the submission form).

I made a update yesterday ;
  • Voting system (Like / dislike).
  • Favorites management system.
  • Purebasic version used in code description.
  • Various optimization.
  • And other stuff...
Thank you for your feedback !
GG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by GG »

Possible to add a flag (Combo ?) which says if the code is SpiderBasic compatible ?
Purebasic 6.04 64 bits - Windows 11 Pro 64 bits 23H2
Thorsten1867
Addict
Addict

Post by Thorsten1867 »

I added code to PureBasic Street, but I'm missing the category "Module" for PB 5.2x.
Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator

Download of PureBasic - Modules
Download of PureBasic - Programs

[Windows 11 x64] [PB V5.7x]
stombretrooper
New User
New User

Post by stombretrooper »

Possible to add a flag (Combo ?) which says if the code is SpiderBasic compatible ?
Good idea! I add it to my todolist.
I added code to PureBasic Street, but I'm missing the category "Module" for PB 5.2x.
Good point, I put this new category in the database, and I set your code in the category.

I do not know if you saw it, but you can put a code in an infinite number of categories. I hesitated to call it "Tag" for this reason.
Thorsten1867
Addict
Addict

Post by Thorsten1867 »

A great idea!
I already looked for a way to collect useful module.
Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator

Download of PureBasic - Modules
Download of PureBasic - Programs

[Windows 11 x64] [PB V5.7x]
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

I repeatedly had long waits, and also got this error:
504 Backend unavailable
Re-clicking the original link often brought up the info. So, either you are changing the pages while I am browsing, or there are major issues with your site and/or database.

I have to ask, though...why not a simple wiki?
stombretrooper
New User
New User

Post by stombretrooper »

Unfortunately, this is not my fault. My hosting provider has problems. The 504 errors appear randomly. The error was reported...
Bisonte
Addict
Addict

Post by Bisonte »

Nice...

How about a function to mark the code and copy the code to clipboard ?
Maybe a RSS Feed to check if something's new.... (Latest Codes/Changed Codes....)

And the clou .... Build this site with the new SpiderBasic ;)
PureBasic 6.04 LTS (Windows x86/x64) | Windows10 Pro x64 | Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus | R9 5900X | 64GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 TI iChill X4 | HAF XF Evo | build by vannicom​​
English is not my native language... (I often use DeepL to translate my texts.)
stombretrooper
New User
New User

Post by stombretrooper »

How about a function to mark the code
if you are talking about a function to "save" your favorite code, it's already done ! Registered users have a kind of favorite list.
and copy the code to clipboard ?
Maybe a RSS Feed to check if something's new.... (Latest Codes/Changed Codes....)
I put both suggestions in my todo list.
And the clou .... Build this site with the new SpiderBasic ;)
Spiderbasic is too limited for the moment. And I do not think this is the right tool. I see more SpiderBasic to create applications replacing Flash.
Bisonte
Addict
Addict

Post by Bisonte »

stombretrooper wrote:
How about a function to mark the code
if you are talking about a function to "save" your favorite code, it's already done ! Registered users have a kind of favorite list.

I mean like a texteditor ctrl+a to mark all the text (in your case only the code) to copy it to the clipboard....
Better than always download the source, if its only have a few lines.

To use SpiderBasic was just the point on the i (german : "Das i-tüpfelchen") ;)
PureBasic 6.04 LTS (Windows x86/x64) | Windows10 Pro x64 | Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus | R9 5900X | 64GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 TI iChill X4 | HAF XF Evo | build by vannicom​​
English is not my native language... (I often use DeepL to translate my texts.)
Zach
Addict
Addict

Post by Zach »

stombretrooper wrote:
About the language standard, my native language is not english (sorry for the mistakes), the website is in english because It's the international language of programming, and all plateforms who try to centralize source code, need to choose a standard language : English. Nevertheless, I do not think removing codes if they are not translated. And I will not translate the codes, I do not have time.
Everyone must take responsibility, and translate its codes in English before submitting, same for descriptions.

I don't think removing code is the answer either. I just think we should at least have a language tag. Leaving translation up to the user is fine, but not everyone will follow that. So it would be nice to be able to filter out results is all I'm saying.
stombretrooper
New User
New User

Post by stombretrooper »

I mean like a texteditor ctrl+a to mark all the text (in your case only the code) to copy it to the clipboard....
Better than always download the source, if its only have a few lines.
OK, I put it in my todolist.

Little update on the website search engine :

Before update :

After update :
  • Display category on code.
  • Display your favorite codes.
  • Added option "Order by" on the search engine (Order by code name or by code popularity)
stombretrooper
New User
New User

Post by stombretrooper »

Another update ;
  • Able to modify the categories code.
  • Able to modify the OS compatible.
  • New Flag : SpiderBasic or PureBasic or both (idea of GG).
  • Adding two categories : FileSystem (internal suggestion of Phantom) and File.
Section code looks good to me. I will soon start working on other modules of the site.