Search PureBasic Forum -discuss

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
MachineCode
Addict
Addict

Search PureBasic Forum -discuss

Post by MachineCode »

Randy Walker wrote:Placing the whole term in double quotes doesn't help because the forum search will cast out the quotes before it proceeds to disect and destroy the desired search term.
No, it doesn't. If I enter "EN_CHANGE" as the search term, it successfully finds (and even highlights in yellow) that exact phrase; and indeed from this thread. I don't see any problem with the search function.
Microsoft Visual Basic only lasted 7 short years: 1991 to 1998.
PureBasic: Born in 1998 and still going strong to this very day!
Demivec
Addict
Addict

Re: Search PureBasic Forum

Post by Demivec »

MachineCode wrote:
Randy Walker wrote:Placing the whole term in double quotes doesn't help because the forum search will cast out the quotes before it proceeds to disect and destroy the desired search term.
No, it doesn't. If I enter "EN_CHANGE" as the search term, it successfully finds (and even highlights in yellow) that exact phrase; and indeed from this thread. I don't see any problem with the search function.
It also matches 13526 other postings that don't have that term in them. I must confess I didn't check them all to verify that last statement, I'll leave that up to you if you wish to disagree :mrgreen: . The search reports that it ignored the "EN" part of the search term. Who wants to search through a bunch of search results that don't even include the term you specified?

It is true that even though the search dissects and tosses out portions it will correctly highlight the original term in yellow if it does appear in the butchered results. :) :mrgreen:
MachineCode
Addict
Addict

Post by MachineCode »

Demivec wrote:It also matches 13526 other postings that don't have that term in them
You didn't search for what I specifically posted: "EN_CHANGE" (with quotes). Try it with that, and you'll get 1 exact match, instead of 13526. Here's some screenshots as proof. Note that even though the "search term used" doesn't show the underscore character, the entire text, including underscore, is highlighted in yellow; which is all that matters.

IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

...but there are search terms that the forum search simply deems as unsuitable, because the search word is too short or populous. The Google search overcomes the limitations.
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
MachineCode
Addict
Addict

Post by MachineCode »

Too short can be overcome with the * wildcard, and too many results can be overcome by restricting the search to specific forums and/or authors.
Randy Walker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Randy Walker »

MachineCode wrote:
MachineCode wrote:Try it with that, and you'll get 1 exact match, instead of 13526. Here's some screenshots as proof.
Sorry MachineCode, and please look again. You are correct in so far as the results being ''1 exact match'' and your screenshots only serve to prove that you are also wrong. There is something wrong with it. There are indeed significantly more than ''1 exact match'', as evidenced by results returned by Google using the method I prescribed above. Here are just a few:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Randy
IF (PureBasic > PowerBasic) AND (PowerBasic > Visual_Basic) THEN PureBasic RULES!!!!
MachineCode
Addict
Addict

Post by MachineCode »

All your matches are from a totally different URL and forum! Did you even look at the domain names? This forum is "purebasic.fr", not "purebasic.com", so it's no wonder that this forum's search doesn't find them. Google will indeed find old forums when searching, but that doesn't mean my example is wrong.
Randy Walker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Randy Walker »

MachineCode wrote:All your matches are from a totally different URL and forum!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You are a funny one MachineCode, and I think wrong again.
MachineCode wrote:Did you even look at the domain names?
Did you?
I *only* visit and login to forums.purebasic.com/english/index.php
The *only* forum URL I use to search is forums.purebasic.com/english/search.php
MachineCode wrote:This forum is "purebasic.fr", not "purebasic.com", so it's no wonder that this forum's search doesn't find them. Google will indeed find old forums when searching, but that doesn't mean my example is wrong.
The sample in my original post was: site:forums.purebasic.com (<< see there where it says "purebasic.com")

I do not speak French.
I do not know how to read French.
So, I have no idea how you can claim
MachineCode wrote: :evil: This forum is "purebasic.fr" :evil:
I posted some useful information to anyone looking for answers to their coding problems.
I even commented this search tip would apply to *ALL* forums in my original post.
So far, you have trashed my post and consequntenly the intent of that post with:
MachineCode wrote: blaa blaa blaa
over and over and over an over ... again and again and again.

Got something useful to contribute?
Really :?
Anything????
Anything at all???
Randy
IF (PureBasic > PowerBasic) AND (PowerBasic > Visual_Basic) THEN PureBasic RULES!!!!
MachineCode
Addict
Addict

Post by MachineCode »

Sigh. Anyone care to explain to Randy why a search on a "purebasic.fr" forum will not show any results for an old "purebasic.com" forum? He doesn't seem to understand that they're two entirely different and separate databases.
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

It's all a bit strange. I'm typing this on the www.purebasic.fr/english forum. I use that as the target for my specific Google search, and the results are all found on www.purebasic.fr/english.

Pure Basic forum search for "GDI Plus" finds nothing ('No suitable matches were found.')

Google Search finds 45 entries.
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
LuCiFeR[SD]

Post by LuCiFeR[SD] »

MachineCode wrote:Sigh. Anyone care to explain to Randy why a search on a "purebasic.fr" forum will not show any results for an old "purebasic.com" forum? He doesn't seem to understand that they're two entirely different and separate databases.
Erm, MachineCode... no. They are not different databases, they are the same database. as a matter of fact it is the exact same identical forum. I suggest you do a search with google about subdomains, cookies and url redirection.
Rings

Re: Search PureBasic Forum -discuss

Post by Rings »

SPAMINATOR NR.1
Demivec
Addict
Addict

Post by Demivec »

MachineCode wrote:
Demivec wrote:It also matches 13526 other postings that don't have that term in them
You didn't search for what I specifically posted: "EN_CHANGE" (with quotes). Try it with that, and you'll get 1 exact match, instead of 13526. Here's some screenshots as proof. Note that even though the "search term used" doesn't show the underscore character, the entire text, including underscore, is highlighted in yellow; which is all that matters.
@MachineCode: Thanks for highlighting the quotes for me. Yes, that certainly does narrow down the results. It doesn't cure the inadequacies in the search though. There are still topics that include that term/constant that aren't returned by the result.

Thanks again for the hint for using quotes to narrow down the result of the butchered search terms. :mrgreen:
Randy Walker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Randy Walker »

Rings wrote:
Randy Walker wrote:(Should this be a sticky somewhere?)
done, and also splitted topic into
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=48957
thx
Thank you Rings. I noticed my post turned into a sticky long before you announced it. Had to wonder if that wasn't MachineCode's incentive for making so much noise :mrgreen:

Also, want to thank you for cleanup on my original thread. :arrow: Nothing but useful comments there now :D
Randy
MachineCode
Addict
Addict

Post by MachineCode »

Sorry for all the fuss I made. I guess I was wrong after all.