ReadStringFormat() - PB 4.4

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

ReadStringFormat() - PB 4.4

Post by srod »

Hi,

just an observation really.

The values of #PB_Ascii and #PB_Unicode have changed since PB 4.31. This caused one of my programs to break which took a long time to figure out why? I always relied upon ReadStringFormat() returning a value in which #PB_Ascii was the highest value supported by PB's ReadString() command and it is this which caught me out!

Just posting as a warning to others and to ask why this was changed? Just out of curiosity you understand! :)
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
Rescator
Addict
Addict

Re: ReadStringFormat() - PB 4.4

Post by Rescator »

Well, what you did was bad programming practice, relying on a behaviour that didn't exist.
I really doubt that the values are enumerations, just plain constants? (looks at Fred)
Now that I think about it, I don't think any PB built in constants/flags are enumerated at all, maybe a note should be put in the manual about this?
Hmm, actually the OSVersion ones are the only ones I can think of that seem enumerated in some way.
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

Yes I agree; bad practice, though it made for more efficient code at the time. I did not hard code the values if that is what you are thinking; I just had a line similar to : If StringFormat <= #PB_Ascii... etc. It is because the ordering of the values in question changed which caught me out.

I just didn't expect these constant values to change - a foolish assumption I know, but, well, not an entirely unreasonable one I reckon. :)

All said and done, the problem is resolved; I was just left wondering why the values have changed - having a naturally inquisitive mind and all? :wink:
freak
PureBasic Team
PureBasic Team

Post by freak »

> I was just left wondering why the values have changed - having a naturally inquisitive mind and all? :wink:

#PB_Ascii and #PB_Unicode now also represent the .a and .u type for functions like Bin(), StrU() etc, and there was a colision with the constant for another type.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

Ah, yes that makes sense.

Thanks; curiosity satisfied! :)