[Feature Request] - Define which compiler to use?

TailBite specific forum

Moderators: gnozal, ABBKlaus, lexvictory

kawasaki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

[Feature Request] - Define which compiler to use?

Post by kawasaki »

Hi,

Would it be possible to add an optional parameter to the command line, to enable the user to define which compiler to use?

For instance;

...> Tailbite.exe /COMP "C:\Program Files\Purebasic"

This would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mistrel
Addict
Addict

Post by Mistrel »

+1, although I assume that it would be whichever PureBasic compiler is local to the Tailbite folder.
kawasaki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by kawasaki »

Though in the case that Tailbite isn't in the Purebasic folder, (for instance, an external ide ;)), it would be a beneficial feature, especially if the external IDE has ability to compile to different compilers
lexvictory
Addict
Addict

Post by lexvictory »

Currently what you need to do is copy Tailbite into a separate dir and create a tailbite.prefs file in that same directory so that it runs in 'portable' (or 'old') mode.
Or rename the prefs file when you're not using it

When using the prefs in appdata TB looks at the registry (for the file association) and determines to use the x64 or x86 prefs (though this does not work when you run the x86 ide in /noext mode like me nor for external editors)

It should be fairly easy however to add a /PREFS parameter (that will create the file if need be)

@kawasaki: in SVN there is a .pb file for making a dll out of TailBite that you can use in an application (though for vista you would need to compile the IDE in admin mode, or make a command line tbcompiler yourself)
Demonio Ardente

Currently managing Linux & OS X Tailbite
OS X TailBite now up to date with Windows!
kawasaki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by kawasaki »

Was actually unaware of the SVN on sourceforge.. Thanks :)

If anyone else needs it, since it took me a little while to find it;

http://tailbite.svn.sourceforge.net

Question: Can I use the TailBite DLL Source code, and directly include that into what I am doing currently, instead of having a separate DLL?

It will be announced that TailBite is included with the release in the products documentation if I can.

Thanks again.
lexvictory
Addict
Addict

Post by lexvictory »

kawasaki wrote:Question: Can I use the TailBite DLL Source code, and directly include that into what I am doing currently, instead of having a separate DLL?
I've not tried it, but I would assume so; however you would need to be careful about global variables, catalog locations, etc.
However it would be inconvenient, as the user would have to update the whole IDE when there was an update just to TB.
Plus as mentioned before, the app would need to have the Vista admin manifest - something that is kind of frowned upon (someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong)

I will however add the prefs command line option in the next few days, when my university workload quietens down a bit :)
(well unless ABBKlaus wants to add it :lol:)
That way all you need do is generate a Tailbite.prefs file

For SVN, its better to link to this page: http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=252593 (for the checkout URL as well as the ViewVC browse)
Demonio Ardente

kawasaki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by kawasaki »

lexvictory wrote:
kawasaki wrote:Question: Can I use the TailBite DLL Source code, and directly include that into what I am doing currently, instead of having a separate DLL?
I've not tried it, but I would assume so; however you would need to be careful about global variables, catalog locations, etc.
However it would be inconvenient, as the user would have to update the whole IDE when there was an update just to TB.
Plus as mentioned before, the app would need to have the Vista admin manifest - something that is kind of frowned upon (someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong)

I will however add the prefs command line option in the next few days, when my university workload quietens down a bit :)
(well unless ABBKlaus wants to add it :lol:)
That way all you need do is generate a Tailbite.prefs file

For SVN, its better to link to this page: http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=252593 (for the checkout URL as well as the ViewVC browse)

The user would NOT have to update the entire IDE.. (hehe)

This would be integrated into a component I am writing to be included with the IDE itself.. A kind of MakeFile for PureBasic...

PureMake does all the leg work to all the compilers registered, compiles single source files, project files, and workspaces (solutions), where as the IDE just has to interface to it....

With this, PureMake being small, can be updated very easily electronically.
lexvictory
Addict
Addict

Post by lexvictory »

Ah, I see. In any case I would advise against it... (using the dll source to directly integrate as a procedure(s))
Perhaps you could make a static lib out of it instead of a DLL?
Demonio Ardente

lexvictory
Addict
Addict

Post by lexvictory »

Ok, feature added.

Use this format (for TBManager and/or Tailbite.exe)

Code: Select all

/PREF "C:\absolute\path\to\a\file.prefs"
It MUST be an absolute path. (though the file doesn't have to exist, the path does)
Also, for TBManager, "/PREF" MUST be the first parameter.

SVN snapshot: https://sourceforge.net/project/downloa ... .05.09.zip
(let me know if you have troubles with the link, I had trouble getting it to build in 32 bit mode)
I'll probably test & add the linux snapshot tomorrow
Demonio Ardente