Thoughts on the situation of PB

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
purenet
User
User

Thoughts on the situation of PB

Post by purenet »

Hello all,

I think PB is going in a good direction now because:

- ARM support is in the development, I guess we may see it in next year or maybe some test version earlier
- This year 2020 is a bug fix year as Fred stated in some forum message. There has been "spotty" bug fixing in my opinion,
but it's really good to fix more bugs what the community reported. I never faced much bugs but overall stability and robustness is always good.
- There is now much more UI gadgets available to create modern UI's. See the "Applications - Feedback and Discussion" forum.
Especially Thorsten1867 created a big set of UI modules and shared those with the community (thanks!). Others too shared great code and modules, I can't mention all of you. :)

For me the biggest drawback is the lack of TLS support in the network library (client and server side) This is a must for people who want to code own servers and protocols. For you perhaps something different. :)

Personally I just today supported the PB development by purchasing one more license. If more people do this we can help PB to grow and evolve even better!

purenet
camille
User
User

Re: Thoughts on the situation of PB

Post by camille »

ARM support is in the development
Is there any official statement about that?
Kiffi
Addict
Addict

Post by Kiffi »

camille wrote:
ARM support is in the development
Is there any official statement about that?
https://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewto ... 57#p553357
Hygge
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

purenet wrote: Especially Thorsten1867 created a big set of UI modules and shared those with the community (thanks!).
Fangles needs to build a statue in his honor.
Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️
camille
User
User

Post by camille »

Thanks @Kiffi
Thorium
Addict
Addict

Post by Thorium »

purenet wrote: For me the biggest drawback is the lack of TLS support in the network library (client and server side) This is a must for people who want to code own servers and protocols. For you perhaps something different. :)
I agree. The way i go around that right now is to run my PureBasic server programs with FastCGI via Apache. So i get TLS. Obviously not applicable in all situations. But that is how i use PB these days.
purenet
User
User

Post by purenet »

Thorium wrote:
purenet wrote: For me the biggest drawback is the lack of TLS support in the network library (client and server side) This is a must for people who want to code own servers and protocols. For you perhaps something different. :)
I agree. The way i go around that right now is to run my PureBasic server programs with FastCGI via Apache. So i get TLS. Obviously not applicable in all situations. But that is how i use PB these days.
I have used Stunnel to connect securely to my PureBasic server programs. It's not optimal, but works as a workaround solution.
If have native TLS solution in the future, then can build a TLS capable server in one EXE file.
Generic servers are complex and big projects to implement, but application specific servers are fast to develop because no need to implement hundreds of features to satisfy everyones needs.