Roadmap for PureBasic

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
lesserpanda
User
User

Roadmap for PureBasic

Post by lesserpanda »

Hi guys,

Newbie here, just bought the package and started coding apps which talks to the backend with an API kind of a thing. I'm an Angular+Ionic, GoLang kind of a developer. Always been a browser to backend server programmer.

Now I love the fact that PB is easy to program (brings back the good old days when I first started programming in Basic) and is cross platform (haven't tested it fully), and I use a mac, so it'll be good to make some utilities with it. I'd like to also know what the road map is for Pure Basic moving forward before I go fully into it.

As the world becomes more interconnected with Cloud and APIs, how is Pure Basic gonna fight the battle. Reason I ask is because when I read the forums, alot of the tools etc links are outdated, back in the year 2006.

I hope I don't sound rude and all, I expected this to be a small community but just like to get everyone's feedback on this.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Re: Roadmap for PureBasic

Post by Tenaja »

lesserpanda wrote: I hope I don't sound rude and all, I expected this to be a small community but just like to get everyone's feedback on this.
Fred's opinion is the only one that matters. Maybe freak's; he helps develop.

Spider basic is for web based development; it's one of theirs too, so the online stuff is "covered".

As for phone apps, you can use SB to make one, but Arm or other outputs from PB have not been promised.

These aren't opinions; just summarizing old posts.
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

lesserpanda wrote:...I'd like to also know what the road map is for Pure Basic moving forward ... As the world becomes more interconnected with Cloud and APIs, how is Pure Basic gonna fight the battle...
PureBasic has been around since 1998 and has remained relevant on all the three platforms that it supports. The transitions thus far, into the age of 64-bit Windows 10, Mac OSX Catalina, and the various Linux distros, clearly exemplify the commitment and dedication of the developers.

It is an intrinsically procedural language paradigm, like C, and its native ability to interface with REST servers and web services should also continue to keep it relevant along with the proliferating cloud ecosystems.

This forum is as old as the language itself, and it's a wonder that twenty years worth of community content has been preserved all this while. But naturally and inevitably, links will be broken, code samples will get outdated, and posts will simply fade into obscurity. The important thing is that the development and support of the core product has always remained up to date, and is continually and actively being updated.

Another quite important aspect of PureBasic is perhaps its thriving, helpful, and friendly community. There are active veterans who have been here for the last ten or twenty years, and their invaluable contributions far surpass that of any support system from any other community. Alongside the development team who are also very active on this forum, these gurus are able to guide, advise, and solve conceivably any programming issue that might arise with PureBasic.

In short, as far as desktop application development goes, the future looks good with PureBasic. :D
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

2020 should be a bug fix year, we decided to try to hunt down as much bug as possible before moving forward again with new features. 5.72 will be a good start for this.
lesserpanda
User
User

Post by lesserpanda »

Hi all, thank you very much for your feedback.

I think I'm gonna stick with this and try to build a full fledge app, go through the ropes and see where it gets me.

I still will use other languages where it suits and try to integrate them back. Gone are the days where you just know one ecosystem :)
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

Fred wrote:2020 should be a bug fix year, we decided to try to hunt down as much bug as possible before moving forward again with new features. 5.72 will be a good start for this.
I hope this also applies to linux.

And I would like to remind you of my suggestion to designate a primary reference distribution (including Desktop Environment) for which you will be guaranteed to work.
Other distributions and DE will need to be supported by the community itself.
Dawn will come inevitably.
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

Fred wrote:2020 should be a bug fix year, we decided to try to hunt down as much bug as possible before moving forward again with new features. 5.72 will be a good start for this.
Now that is what I am talking about! :D Can't fault that decision.
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

useful wrote:

And I would like to remind you of my suggestion to designate a primary reference distribution (including Desktop Environment) for which you will be guaranteed to work.
It will cover all the platforms
swhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by swhite »

Fred wrote:
useful wrote:

It will cover all the platforms
That is great to hear. Thanks.

Simon
Simon White
dCipher Computing