AV false-positive issues: try this site

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

AV false-positive issues: try this site

Post by BarryG »

Just submitted my exe to https://www.hybrid-analysis.com to see what's triggering false-positives for it, and the results are insane.

Here's just some of the reasons that it says my app is "malware":

Contains ability to register hotkeys (duh!).
Contains ability to open the clipboard (come on, the user has to have some convenience!).
Contains ability to query the machine version (have to make sure my app is not on Win XP or lower).
Creates a writable file in a temporary directory (what's wrong with writing to %TEMP%?).
Scanning for window names (I was checking for "Progman" and "Shell_TrayWnd"; so what?).
Queries volume information (of a hard disk; I need its free space before doing a file copy!).
Found potential URL in binary/memory (it saw my PayPal link when the user wants to buy).

And many more things. This has convinced me that no matter what I do, my app will classed as malware by VirusTotal and the like. Not much I can do except stop coding.

Anyway, throw your exes at this URL to see what it reports. It's pretty shocking.
Little John
Addict
Addict

Re: AV false-positive issues: try this site

Post by Little John »

BarryG wrote:Anyway, throw your exes at this URL to see what it reports.
Why should I do so? According to what you wrote, that seems just to be waste of time.
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

I guess it just lists possible reasons for detecting a virus, as the heuristics usually base on a combination of these things. It is not the actual reason.
bye,
Daniel
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Little John wrote:Why should I do so? According to what you wrote, that seems just to be waste of time.
If you're curious about why your exe gets flagged by false-positives, is obviously what I mean.
Mindphazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mindphazer »

The only and unique solution is : buy a Mac ! :mrgreen:

(if you're searching for me, i'm already out !!)
MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro - 16 Gb - MacOS 14 - Iphone 15 Pro Max - iPad at home
...and unfortunately... Windows at work...
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

BarryG wrote:
Little John wrote:Why should I do so? According to what you wrote, that seems just to be waste of time.
If you're curious about why your exe gets flagged by false-positives, is obviously what I mean.
That site obviously just tells complete nonsense.
And I don't see how this can help solving the problem about false virus alerts.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Little John wrote:I don't see how this can help solving the problem about false virus alerts.
It seemed to me that removing some of what it detects might reduce my false-positives... but then I realised half my code would be gone.