Licence protection and watermark

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Joubarbe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Licence protection and watermark

Post by Joubarbe »

Hello,

We're seeing different licences everywhere nowadays, and I'm wondering how exactly these legal rights are protected. Firstly, I know nothing about encryption and watermark (I suppose there is a watermark somewhere?), and I'd like to know how it works, maybe with an example. Secondly, I'm also wondering how does a developer detect that someone is using his software / framework without his consent, or proper licence obligations.

In short, what is the best way today to protect a program? Especially a PB program, obviously.
C87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Licence protection and watermark

Post by C87 »

Ah, software security, the eternal bane and frustration of the software developer, which even Microsoft hasn't solved. :cry:
From dongles to custom solutions, which is best Joubarbe, is the one that you get to work for you. It may not be practical for you but one is to write the name of the user into a table with a fatal error if it is changed is one. Because not many people like using software with someone else's name as the licensed user written across the opening screen and appearing on all printouts.
But who knows which is the best? I can only reiterate it will be the one that suits you and your application. Sadly, it will be difficult to stop copying or someone trying to use it without paying, or worse someone copying and selling it on!
You have to pay top dollar for the plumber, painter and the car but half the world seems to think that software should be free. Considering the time it takes to write, it really is quite annoying. Software security is a constant battle.
The starting point is to solve the conundrum "what can I do to restrict the use to the person you've sold it to"
On licensing do not sell your software, sell only the right to use it and retain all copyright. You may never have read a software license (most people don't) but an adapation from Microsoft's or SAGE can be a starting point. Don't go paying a solicitor when the major players have done that already........oops, could that be considered as piracy?!! :oops:
If it's falling over......just remember the computer is never wrong!
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Re: Licence protection and watermark

Post by BarryG »

C87 wrote:You have to pay top dollar for the plumber, painter and the car but half the world seems to think that software should be free. Considering the time it takes to write, it really is quite annoying.
Preach, brother. My sentiments exactly. Custom software (with their name in it, in encrypted form but displayed publically) is the best way, especially if you sell only to businesses where there are real legal ramifications for piracy.