Intellisense...

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Dawgmann
User
User

Intellisense...

Post by Dawgmann »

I'm going to set my newby hat to the side for a moment and put on my dunce cap for this question.

In fear of committing the carnal sin of comparing PB to other IDEs.... does the PB editor have something similar to "Intellisense"? I know it has an auto complete feature, but I'm looking for something more like Intellisense where when you type a procedure's name a small tool tip will pop up showing the structure of the procedure, including its parameters/arguments and their data types. Because I'm a glutton for for punishment and actually prefer extreme verbosity and terseness in programming languages, I don't like assistance from the IDE in filling in what I want to type. So, I avoid autocomplete like the plague. But being new to PB, it's difficult to remember the parameters and their data types when implementing procedures I haven't yet gotten down in my memory. And that's why I dislike autocomplete because not using it forces me to type everything out and retain it in my head.

Anyway... if this question has already been answered somewhere else please feel free to toss me a link in that direction.

Gracias, Amigos!
Last edited by Dawgmann on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chi
Addict
Addict

Re: Intellisense...

Post by chi »

If you type e.g.

Code: Select all

OpenWindow(
into the IDE, a short description appears in the statusbar:
OpenWindow(#Window, x, y, InnerWidth, InnerHeight, Title$ [, Flags [, ParentWindowID]]) Opens a new window according to the specified parameters.
This also works for API functions, if you edit .\PureBasic\Compilers\APIFunctionListing.txt like this...
SetWindowPos ( In HWND hWnd, InOpt HWND hWndInsertAfter, In int X, In int Y, In int cx, In int cy, In UINT uFlags ) BOOL | Changes the size, position, and Z order of a child, pop-up, or top-level window.
and type (restart IDE first)

Code: Select all

SetWindowPos_(
(SetWindowPos_() only works on Windows OS)
Last edited by chi on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Et cetera is my worst enemy
Dawgmann
User
User

Post by Dawgmann »

@Chi

Is there a setting in the options for this that I might have set incorrectly?

When I type "Ope" in the editor, the autocomplete list pops up. However, when I type "OpenWindow(" the autocomplete list closes and nothing else pops up.
Danilo
Addict
Addict

Post by Danilo »

The intellisense is in the status bar: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ at the bottom of the window.

In the screenshot above it shows the help for the command Right(String$, Length) - Returns the last...
chi
Addict
Addict

Post by chi »

I made a short video...

You can also download my APIFunctionListing.txt (Windows only)

@Danilo Nice to see you again :D
Et cetera is my worst enemy
Dawgmann
User
User

Post by Dawgmann »

LOL

I apologize for not being more observant of my work environment...
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Check this out, too: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=73066