Free macro program to help automate recipe import

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Free macro program to help automate recipe import

Post by Fangbeast »

I am using a recipe manager to import from disk and it only does one file at a time. I know various options were discussed in a previous post but they were too complicated.

There are 4 steps per file and at 10,000 recipes, my wrists are going to drop off.

Anyone know of a free macro recorder that can help me automate the steps a little?
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Re: Free macro program to help automate recipe import

Post by NicTheQuick »

What was wrong with putting all the recipes into one big file?
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

NicTheQuick wrote:What was wrong with putting all the recipes into one big file?
Dont have anything to do that and unpacking over 7,000 fdxz recipes files and merging their xml contents etc would be hugely complicated. Don't know how to do that either.

I thought a macro program that could learn the keystrokes and replay them would be easier.
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

Can you send me/us some of these files to check how one could merge them?
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

NicTheQuick wrote:Can you send me/us some of these files to check how one could merge them?
I could I suppose, but not till the weekend. Just got home and won't have time and tomorrow my wife works at home and can't do it.

Where do I send it? Want me to make a dropbox dump?
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

Fangbeast wrote:a macro program that could learn the keystrokes and replay them would be easier
https://www.tinytask.net
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

Dude wrote:
Fangbeast wrote:a macro program that could learn the keystrokes and replay them would be easier
https://www.tinytask.net
My fingers are crossed, my eyes are crossed, my legs are crossed!!
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

Yay!!! TinyTask is good (Except for the truly tiny interface). I setup 10 recipes to import, one after the other and they worked great.

Next I will do 25 at a time.

Dude, I bow down in your direction with my eye stalks crossed.
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

Glad to help you, Fangles. ;)
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

Dude wrote:Glad to help you, Fangles. ;)
It's not bad at all if the stoopid old programmer (me!!) remembers that the program remembers EXACTLY which directory he selected. I made a macro to import recipes from D:\Compressed\A and delete each recipe at a time as it was imported. SO far, so good.

Then I pointed to Compressed\B, started the macro again and saw it was importing from Compressed\A and deleting from Compressed\B.

D'oh! The macro is exact:):)

I think for safety, I need to still do a merge of some sort because this heat is making me dopy (Dopier than usual)
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

Fangbeast wrote:it was importing from Compressed\A and deleting from Compressed\B
Yeah, I think the macros do exactly how they were recorded. Could you copy all the files to one dedicated directory and then just process them all automatically from that dir, until all 10,000 are done? That's what I'd do.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

Dude wrote:
Fangbeast wrote:it was importing from Compressed\A and deleting from Compressed\B
Yeah, I think the macros do exactly how they were recorded. Could you copy all the files to one dedicated directory and then just process them all automatically from that dir, until all 10,000 are done? That's what I'd do.
Yes, I think so. When I setup the macro originally, I did it for 25 files at a time and 8 second timing and that worked fine. Still, over 10,000 is going to take ages!!

Have to go to bed now to get my ugly sleep:):)
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

Well, this was fun. TinyTask can't be used for long as it makes errors due to the amount of time Paprika's dialogues sometime take to finish during a database import. The more files you import, the slower some of these dialogues pop up.

I was watching as a task started out okay and then one dialogue box started to flash at least 5 times before TinyTask closed it and then I also saw files in the import list being skipped.

I need a macro recorder than can access the program directly, be told which functions to use and then wait for dialogues to pop up before they are hit.

TinyTask is more of a screen recorder than a macro recorder.
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

Hi Fangbeast,

A macro recorder does not take into account the program feedback (i.e. is the destination window open?) for this it requires an automation tool, such as AutoIt (but need coding).

The company that publishes TinyTask has also been editing another tool for years: vTaskStudio . I have been using it for more than 10 years now, even to manage applications that are only graphic (by recognizing graphic elements such icon). It is a very powerful tool, but a new whole programming philosophy.

The tool is still available, but unfortunately they have put their forum in read-only mode. The program is commercial, but not very expensive ($59), well documented and shareware 30 days (test it before).

:wink:
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

Qhat about my recipe merge program? Does it work? You did not anser my latest private message.