TAKE CARE WITH PureArea.net

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
C87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

TAKE CARE WITH PureArea.net

Post by C87 »

The sometimes helpful PureArea.net seems only to have older code and information. However, take care as the odd .ZIP file may have a virus loading, particularly in the CODEARCHIVE section.
Copying code off the site should be Ok but maybe better not to download any zips!

C87
If it's falling over......just remember the computer is never wrong!
RSBasic

Re: TAKE CARE WITH PureArea.net

Post by RSBasic »

Which files are they? What's the virus alert from your antivirus program? Maybe false positive message (false alarm)?
Compressed files or very small files are always reported as a virus.
You can upload the files here to check with other antivirus programs: https://www.virustotal.com
C87 wrote:The sometimes helpful PureArea.net seems only to have older code and information
Yes, many old files can actually be removed.
C87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by C87 »

To my best knowledge : Clicking on CODEARCHIVE, the screen shows CodeArchiv.zip (V4 Beta) (6.23MB) in a small yellow window in the centre.
I saved this thinking it was the whole CodeArchive, so would save me looking on the site, clicking the English option etc. Having downloaded it I left it to look at later.

A day or so later a full scan stated that it was actually or contained CodeArchiv-V4-Beta.rar and also contained Deskswitch.exe and cav.exe All of these three were quarantined. Its stated origin was Purearea.net\pb\download\CodeArchiv-V4-Beta.rar

Using Norton Security on Win10 Pro 64bit

C87
If it's falling over......just remember the computer is never wrong!
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

They're false positives, from what I remember. Test the exes with VirusTotal.com instead of just believing Norton (which has a terrible reputation).
Andre
PureBasic Team
PureBasic Team

Post by Andre »

Dude wrote:They're false positives, from what I remember. Test the exes with VirusTotal.com instead of just believing Norton (which has a terrible reputation).
So it is :twisted:

While it's true, that there are many old files.
But while they are staying there "untouched" for years - why and how they should have been infected directly on the server (my provider)? :wink:
Bye,
...André
(PureBasicTeam::Docs & Support - PureArea.net | Order:: PureBasic | PureVisionXP)
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

... Having downloaded it I left it to look at later.

A day or so later a full scan stated that it was actually or contained CodeArchiv-V4-Beta.rar and also contained...
:arrow: An effective and well configured antivirus program should have quarantined the file when it was downloaded. :!:

If it was discovered later, it is because it is incorrectly configured, or worse, that the PC is infected and infected the archive later. :o

:idea: It is useless to test lots of AVs, if the main ones (Avira, Eset, Kaspersky, BitDefender) have said "Clean" there is very little chance that the file will be infected. Some recent or underperforming AVs do not have a system to cancel false positives :|

:wink:
infratec
Always Here
Always Here

Post by infratec »

BitDefender ist the pure hell.

We have to use it in our company.
But I can not compile any program :twisted:

It immediately takes the produced exe in jail.

The only possibility was to disable all actions and only show warnings.