A taskbar application with timers

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
RobertSF
User
User

A taskbar application with timers

Post by RobertSF »

I'm starting to design an application. Consider a work environment. Some people (requestors) need work done, some people (executors) do the work, and some people (dispatchers) assign the work that needs to be done to the people who do the work. In my application, everyone will have a taskbar icon.

When a requestor wants to request something, he or she clicks on the taskbar icon, selects "New Request" from the pop-up menu, and fills out the form for the new request. When the requestor clicks Ok, the new request is saved to the database.

The dispatcher also has a taskbar icon. Every 10 seconds, a timer kicks in and queries the database for new requests. If there are, the dispatcher's taskbar icon begins to flash. When the dispatcher clicks on the taskbar icon, the dispatcher can then see the new request and assign it to a free executor.

Every executor also has a taskbar icon. Every 10 seconds, a timer kicks in and queries the database for new assignments. If there are, the executor's taskbar icon beings to flash. When the executor clicks on the taskbar icon, the executor can then see the new assignment and timestamp it to indicate the work has started.

The dispatcher can click the taskbar icon and then view all the current requests, who they are assigned to, when the work was started, etc.

Upon finishing the work, the executor clicks the taskbar icon and indicates that the work is done. At the requestor's side, every 10 seconds, a timer kicks in and queries the database for completed requests. If there are, the requestor's taskbar icon begins to flash. When the requestor clicks the taskbar icone, the requestor can then see that their request has been completed. Optionally, completed requests could go to the dispatcher for review before going to the requestor.

Experimenting, I've already realized I'll need a window with which to associate the taskbar icon. Fortunately, this window can be hidden, since the whole point of a taskbar icon is not to have a window on the screen. I'll also associate the timer with this hidden window. The total number of users is not expected to exceed 100, so the most activity they could generate at once is 100 database queries, which wouldn't faze even a wimpy MySQL running under Linux on an old Pentium II.

Anybody ever done something like this?
infratec
Always Here
Always Here

Re: A taskbar application with timers

Post by infratec »

Hi, hi ...

Sorry, only in german:

https://www.ednt.de/ticketsystem-zeiterfassung

It also includes a Kanban viewer/handler which simplifies the process.
There is a PostgreSQL database in background, reachable via secured connections.
RobertSF
User
User

Re: A taskbar application with timers

Post by RobertSF »

Thank you. It's amazing how good Google's translator is. I could read the website just fine. However, I should have been more clear. I'm not actually looking for a solution. I'm going to code this myself. :D

I don't have any specific questions yet, but I'm sure I will, since I expect I'll have to use threads, which I've never done.