Promoting PureBasic in colleges and universities

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
RobertSF
User
User

Promoting PureBasic in colleges and universities

Post by RobertSF »

This is from a USA point of view. It may be similar or very different in Europe, but I don't know. In the USA, higher-education students must often take a basic programming course even though their major area of study is not computer science. In some institutions, this applies to students of business, engineering, psychology, and even biology. In other institutions, it applies even to philosophy and literature students.

In virtually all cases, professors tell students to download the free or "community" version of Microsoft's Visual Studio with VB.Net. But Visual Studio is a monster. The smallest download is a gigabyte, and it requires a powerful CPU. And while the IDE is polished and sophisticated, the .Net object model is very complex. Even professionals find it hard to learn. There are additional shortcomings. Whether they like it or not, professors wind up having to support Visual Studio if the students run into problems installing it, which at least a couple of students per class always wind up having.

These professors and students would be much better off using PureBasic because
  1. The download is much smaller
  2. The system requirements are much lower
  3. The learning curve is flatter
  4. The students won't be so frustrated
  5. The professors won't have to do so much support work
  6. It is much cheaper
Oops! FREE! vs. €79? My mistake! :oops:

But it's no problem! :mrgreen:

The wonderful thing about software is that its marginal cost is basically zero. To make two automobiles cost twice as much as making one automobile, but making two copies of a file doesn't cost any more than making one copy of the file. And prices are funny things.

The founder of GoDaddy is Bob Parsons, but I knew about Bob Parsons back in 1980, when he was an accountant with a job he hated. At nights, he coded a program called MoneyCounts. These were the days of MS-DOS, and there was no GUI. The program was ugly but it worked. He tried to sell it for $89.95 and failed. He spent half his money on advertising, and not one sale. He lowered the price to $29.95 and spent the rest of the his money on advertising. He sold thousands and thousands of units and became a millionaire. The secret was to find the right price.

I think pricing PureBasic in the USD 15±5 range would make it very easy to sell to university students, especially if it included a "How to Program" manual. This would require contacting professors and making the sales call, but consider the potential.

In the USA alone, every one of the 50 states has two publicly-funded university systems. Small states have only one location, but the largest states have ten or more. On average, it's about three per state, or 150 total. In every location, there will be at least two of these basic programming courses, each with about 30 students. So the total market is 150 x 2 x 30 = 9,000 students per semester (half-year), or 18,000 students per year. At 100% and $15 each, that's $270,000 sales per year.

Obviously, 100% is a maximum that cannot be achieved, but you can use it to calculate other situations. Suppose you capture only 10% of the student market. That is still $27,000 income per year (and 2,700 more people who know about PureBasic). I do not say it's easy, but I think this could increase PureBasic's visibility.
HanPBF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Promoting PureBasic in colleges and universities

Post by HanPBF »

http://www.purebasic.com

1 single user license € 79
1 educational license (for one room class, including teacher) € 199
1 company site license (unlimited license for one company site) € 499

Windows
Download a free demo-version of PureBasic 5.62
Linux
MacOS X

Not as free as in free beer, but not very far away;-)

Please, compare the time to start learning programming between
Delphi RAD studio (hours)
C# VS.Net (hours)
PureBasic (<15min.)

Then compile the program (Delphi minutes, C# minutes, PureBasic seconds) -> I mean the overall time!
HanPBF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by HanPBF »

Maybe the students in USA are also educated for the "fun" it takes to maintenance Delphi/C#/VB.Net/Java.

You can learn many things from those tools, especially to calm down, to accept things get never repaired, to install, uninstall, reinstall every few months, etc., etc.

Overall, PureBasic can not be compared with those big competitors.
But for learning programming (memory, pointers, etc.) there is nothing better.
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

Coding is on the curriculum in UK secondary schools now. Pupils start with Scratch and once they've grasped the basic concepts like constants, variables, loops, etc... they progress to Python.

I think a niche language like PB is a hard sell in an educational environment especially now so many of the most widely used programming languages are free and open source.
RobertSF
User
User

Post by RobertSF »

I hear what everyone's saying. It's too bad. I wish PB had a larger following. I also notice that the following PB does have is quite advanced. Very few of the questions in the Coding Questions section are beginner questions. This suggests that PB has a user base that consists mostly of long time users who have become experts at the language and only have advanced questions. Which of course is very good, but you always want a supply of newbies. :wink: