How time flies ...

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
gnasen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How time flies ...

Post by gnasen »

Hey everyone,

it feels like ages since I used PB the last time (maybe around 2009?), but funnily I was told by a friend that a tool I wrote for some social service to automatically fill-in print documents is still used.
Reflecting on my time using PB, I noticed that it was my first serious start into programming and did everything right to get someone started:
  • various pre-installed libraries
  • simple syntax
  • compact documentation
  • helpful community
Most importantly, some concepts (e.g. pointers & GUI) are implemented in a way that they can simply be learned, but are nevertheless close to common implementations.
This made it really easy for academia first and later for working in industry to learn and adapt to more prevalant programming languages without too much struggle (for me that is primariliy C/C++/Matlab and more rarely Java/Python).
And in my opinion, if you learned properly programming the BASIC way, it is not too much of a problem to adapt to class-based programming.

Out of curiosity, I wrote a small test application in PB just to see if I could still use PB, and voila, it only took a few minutes (and looking up some commands) to get everything working, nice!
Thanks to everyone in this community who helped back in the days. Actually, I just noticed some names which rang a bell: Kwai chang caine, #null, mk-soft, wombat, Icesoft, and many more, who were and obviously still are valuable members of this community.

Summarizing, I would like to thank the PB team to deliver a programming language which is in my opinion perfect to getting started with programming (and maybe should advertise this aspect a little more?)! Keep up that good work!

Now move on people, nothing to see here!
pb 5.11
RSBasic

Re: How time flies ...

Post by RSBasic »

Welcome back. Will you be online more often in the forum again? Also in the German forum?
gnasen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by gnasen »

Honestly, I guess not, I gave up coding as a hobby when it became my job. It's just too time consuming :D
pb 5.11
Thorium
Addict
Addict

Post by Thorium »

Couldn't agree more.
It was also a nice way for me to learn ASM, as you are in a familiar and easy BASIC environment and can experiment with small parts in ASM surrounded by BASIC code. Much better way to learn it than using an assembler directly.

PureBasic also introduced me to pointers.
Currently i am using a lot of C++, but just because it's the language Unreal Engine integrates with and i am using this engine a lot lately. PureBasic is still my first choice to implement tools i need.
Nituvious
Addict
Addict

Post by Nituvious »

The PB demo made programming make sense to me. The help manual was an absolute asset and the forums had amazing teachers!
I still check the forums because it had such a huge impact on my life.
▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░