To Fred and Timo: Can we have a discussion about the future?

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: To Fred and Timo: Can we have a discussion about the fut

Post by Bitblazer »

It's also funny to think that when Fred is doing some nice paying contract work in between (as i think it was mentioned somewhere in the past), that he would naturally be more busy with something which crucially also finances purebasic. So maybe a period of silence is actually great and of benefit to purebasic longterm. Just have a little faith - if you can't have that by now after 20 years of PB for 79 bucks .... you can also buy spiderbasic to "co-finance" the development while getting an android "look-a-like" of purebasic. Win-Win? Or maybe some major new feature/change is being worked on.

Either way - i don't know about any other product where i ever got as much value for 79 bucks over 2 decades like i got for PB. We should make a poll about "when was the last time you got so much value for such a long time for anything else beside purebasic?"

ps: not to mention that he might just be on an awesome and much needed family vacation. Life isnt only about business.
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

"Tu deviens responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as apprivoisé."
d'Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

We just need a little attention. I already wrote, on forum SB: in our turbulent time, a long silence causes alarm. :)
Dawn will come inevitably.
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

The more functions the program has and the more complicated it becomes to add functions because it is necessary to check compatibility with what already exists. So the work becomes exponential because PB has 1800+ functions!

PB is not Microsoft nor Embarcadero nor the free community, The PB team is two developers (yes 2).

Everything they have done so far (since 20 years) can be largely described as a feat compared to what big developpment companies are doing.

PB has so far no big blocking bugs like big companies can have and remember that they usually just replace old bugs with new ones and charge for this "update".

:wink:
vwidmer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vwidmer »

I like the PB licensing as is since I do not make money from anything I write in PB and uses it mostly to play around in. Its nice knowing that when I am that I can update to the latest version and not be asked to pay again. I was using a fixed copy of xojo for a long time till I found PB for this reason I just cant afford to keep paying upgrading prices.

On the other side I would be willing to pay towards features that I would like to have implemented.

So I think
a)
If you are making money from PB then donate to Fred (Timo?)? Or send them some money if you would like. I would..
Or go subscribe to one of the SB plans one or multiple times. (still waiting for andoid linux support :) a feature I would pay towards too)

b)
1. I think just need way people can submit which features they want and/or a way to up vote a feature.
2. Developers can say how much they want to implement that feature
3. A way to pay towards that feature.
4. If a feature doesnt reach its funding goal or interest in X amount of time the the money can get put towards what ever is the top voted/funded feature.
5. If a feature gets funded then developers can implement. Or if they just think its a good idea to implement anyways and claim what evers there.

Anyways just my thoughts am not here to argue or offend anyone.

Thanks for the great software and great community...
WARNING: I dont know what I am doing! I just put stuff here and there and sometimes like magic it works. So please improve on my code and post your changes so I can learn more. TIA
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

Seymour Clufley wrote:Please don't fanboy at me
Hey, I'd be the first to jump ship if something happened with PureBasic that I didn't like. My loyalties aren't guaranteed. I actually posted about another product in the Off Topic forum recently that I initially raved about, then I ditched it and got a refund once I realized my zeal was unwarranted, and edited my post to reflect that. I'm not a PureBasic fanboy at all; I just look at its history and what Fred has said about its future.
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

Purebasic has been around for so long and everyone hopes it will stay that way.

Professionally I rarely have to write an application or service. These often have to be realized quickly and small. I always drove very well with Purebasic and they all run absolutely stable. No one asks how the special solutions were written. The main thing is it works for years and this does it.

What I wish there would also be a bugfix release more often, instead of new functions.

If you want new functions quickly, you can pay for them.

But you should also donate for the release. But there is also a button after registering at "www.purebasic.com".

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
Denis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Denis »

mk-soft wrote: What I wish there would also be a bugfix release more often, instead of new functions.
I agree with you mk-soft.
The key thing is to have a stable tool.

I use PB since the end of 2000 and what an evolution.
I really thank Fred and Timo for their work.
A+
Denis