The Rising Preference for WebApps

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

The Rising Preference for WebApps

Post by TI-994A »

Of late, there appears to be an increasing preference for web-based applications, as compared to desktop ones. Even the hippy Macphilles, that once constituted a dominant base, are slowly converting.

While the ubiquitous access through the web is an understandable reason, it doesn't quite explain the continuing popularity of native mobile apps.

It would be interesting to hear how this trend is shaping up in other regions.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: The Rising Preference for WebApps

Post by Bitblazer »

The kind of current "Webapps" has (mostly) a fundamental problem the general public might realize a lot later. I am working for 30+ years with computers and software development and one thing you learn over time - no matter how reliable and "self confident" some company/product appears at a certain time, things can (and usually do**) change over time. With a "Webapp" you rely on remote code and infrastructure you don't have any control over.

I definately don't want to explain a customer why my work schedule for them failed hard because one of the links in the tool chain required to get my work done, had to be replaced out of a sudden. Sure every link in that chain can be replaced over time but any previous schedule you made relying on them, will be busted and your reputation will be one of lightheadedness and unreliability that way.

People will learn interesting stories about failed/risky business models/strategies of foreign companies over time ;)

** the only constant in life, is change.
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

Bitblazer wrote:I definately don't want to explain a customer why my work schedule for them failed hard because one of the links in the tool chain required to get my work done, had to be replaced out of a sudden.
Can you give an example of what you mean by this?

TI-994A wrote:While the ubiquitous access through the web is an understandable reason, it doesn't quite explain the continuing popularity of native mobile apps.
I think it's partly because users erroneously believe WebApps stop working when you don't have a connection and partly because mobile users first port of call when looking for an app is Google Play/iThing App Store rather than the web. Lots of 'native' mobile apps are really WebApps bundled with a runtime anyway.
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

the.weavster wrote:I think it's partly because users erroneously believe WebApps stop working when you don't have a connection and partly because mobile users first port of call when looking for an app is Google Play/iThing App Store rather than the web. Lots of 'native' mobile apps are really WebApps bundled with a runtime anyway.
You're right; there's definitely a failed impression, on the user part, on what webapps really are. They seem to believe that the cross-platform and location-independent aspects are superior to the more stable, locally-installed desktop applications. Purely from a hardware point of view, there are quite some limitations.

Sadly, it still bites into revenues.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

the.weavster wrote:
Bitblazer wrote:I definately don't want to explain a customer why my work schedule for them failed hard because one of the links in the tool chain required to get my work done, had to be replaced out of a sudden.
Can you give an example of what you mean by this?
From Document compilers for a manual, tips&tricks pages, FAQ, context sensitive help, icon editors, graphics collections, gui/dialog designers, testing tools, language tools like translators to installer compilers to create the final binary product, through the whole webdesign stuff, hosting, forum software, support channel infrastructure etc. etc. its easily 30 different products required to make a polished commercial product. You plan a schedule for a final product including alpha, beta tests, partial releases in test regions till release and if one tool breaks - you have to delay the release date or you had to deliver a partially finished product and that harms your product, brand and reputation. Don't forget to build a reliable support chain (telephone support, irc, forums, social media) because you will need it once the product is live.

Back in the past, you also had to organize the whole physical distribution, printing, production of boxes and media, gadgets like coupons, plan little benefits for helpful constructive people.

I'm glad the physical distribution is less important nowadays, though it did create new problems with piracy.
Last edited by Bitblazer on Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.