New User question......

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
RealUser60
User
User

New User question......

Post by RealUser60 »

Hello everyone on the board, I've just downloaded a demo version, & I can't save any modified code. Should I need to purchase a license in order to do real programming? Also trying to find a PB Tutorial to learn, where can I find some? Any help is appreciated.

From Richard
nco2k
Addict
Addict

Re: New User question......

Post by nco2k »

you cannot save any code, or just large code? because the demo is limited to roughly 800 lines of code. it also doesnt support winapi or dll creation. you definitely would want to buy the full version.

as for tutorials, check out this book: http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... 14&t=37059

c ya,
nco2k
If OSVersion() = #PB_OS_Windows_ME : End : EndIf
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

RealUser60 wrote:Hello everyone on the board, I've just downloaded a demo version, & I can't save any modified code. Should I need to purchase a license in order to do real programming?
Hello Richard, and welcome to the world of PureBasic. :)

The demo version is fully functional, and should be all you'd need to get started with PureBasic. There are only three caveats; programs are restricted to 800 lines of code, they wouldn't be able to call the operating system's API functions, and they cannot be compiled to standalone executables (.exe programs)**.

Otherwise, all the native PureBasic functions are at your disposal, and all your programs will run fully, but only through the PureBasic IDE; not as their own programs**.
TI-994A wrote:** CORRECTION: The demo version is able to compile to executables; just not dynamic link libraries. Thank you, Marc56us.
There are many useful resources on this very rich forum, one of them as nco2k had pointed out. I'm sure that you'd have lots of fun learning this powerful and fascinating language, which gives you the ability to program for Windows, Mac, and Linux, for the price of one.

Highly recommended! :wink:
Last edited by TI-994A on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

By default, PB is installed in the Program File folder and from Windows Vista (or 7?) this folder is read-only for non-administrators.
Fred unfortunately put the examples in the same folder instead of putting it in %APPDATA% as usual to allow users to modify them.
So, il you change the examples or make your own, then save them elsewhere (e.: documents files)

With Demo, you can create standalone EXE (this is DLL you can't create)

Free version limitations:
- No Win32 API support
- No DLL creation
- Code size limitation (about 800 lines)

Welcome and Enjoy :wink:
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

Marc56us wrote:...With Demo, you can create standalone EXE (this is DLL you can't create)...
You're right; oversight on my part. It's the DLL creation.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
blueb
Addict
Addict

Post by blueb »

RealUser60... Welcome to the forum. It's one of the friendliest sites on the web.

An often overlooked resource for users of all levels is: http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:PureBasic

It has 543 different PB source samples (Demivec had a lot to do with these).

You can see the PureBasic source code, compare it to other languages and even copy and paste it into your PureBasic IDE.

Great learning tool.
- It was too lonely at the top.

System : PB 6.10 LTS (x64) and Win Pro 11 (x64)
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X w/64 gigs Ram, AMD RX 6950 XT Graphics w/16gigs Mem
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

I don't know if this is a problem with my ISP, but links from
http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... 14&t=37059 (http://www.kalekold.net)
Are 404 error :|

The best way is to start from official website
http://www.purebasic.com/
and follow Support > PureBasic Documentation

If you are comming from another language, another interesting document is the
PureBasic Survival Guide
http://ninelizards.com/purebasic/index.htm

In any case, when coding in PB, left click on any keyword and press F1 (even if you think to know the command: PB have many options for each of them.) Copy / Paste samples in help (They are all autonomous) and try.

:wink:
RealUser60
User
User

Post by RealUser60 »

HEY Everyone! I want to thank you for all your help & comments to help me get started in programming in PureBasic. They are very helpful, thanks everyone! Looking forward to actually purchase the legal license in the near future. BUT now I'm just tinkering & experiment with the demo version for this month, so far I'm really impress, anyway I was looking for a 3D programming IDE, as I want to create simple 3D shapes just to learn something constructive.

From Richard