PureBasic is a Great Programming Language with Limited Resources

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Maya
User
User

PureBasic is a Great Programming Language with Limited Resources

Post by Maya »

PureBasic by Gary Willoughby, was the best eBook I ever read! ... Then, that's all.
I searched for similar Book or a Training Courses, but unfortunately, I found nothing, just randomly spreader code snapshots, here and there, no more.

While PureBasic is famous & held strong since about 2 decades, unfortunately I couldn't find 'another eBook', or Training Course on Lynda or Udemy as the case with any other 'less level' programming language!

I'm just wondering why?
I really feel so sad, that such great tool has a very limited training resources!

idle
Always Here
Always Here

Re: PureBasic is a Greate Programming Language with Limited Resources

Post by idle »

I wouldn't say there are limited resources, the PB community is probably the best resource one could ever wish for or need.
All you have to do is try and ask. I can't think of a single instance where I haven't received help to any given problem and I've learned a great deal from the community. I still look at the sources and examples folders every now and then.

What topic do you want to learn about?
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

This forum is +10000000000 better than all the books combined 8)
Maya
User
User

Post by Maya »

I fully agree that this forum is truly helpful & the community/members are mostly cooperative, but this wasn't the point!
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

Maya wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:32 pm I fully agree that this forum is truly helpful & the members are very cooperative, but this wasn't the point!
Yes I got that but my question was, what Topic do you want to learn about?
Is it basic CS like data structures algorithms or 2D / 3D graphics... or where you just stating that it's a shame purebasic isn't represented more widely.
Maya
User
User

Post by Maya »

idle wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:00 am
Maya wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:32 pm I fully agree that this forum is truly helpful & the members are very cooperative, but this wasn't the point!
Yes I got that but my question was, what Topic do you want to learn about?
Is it basic CS like data structures algorithms or 2D / 3D graphics... or where you just stating that it's a shame PureBasic isn't represented more widely.
PureBasic is already Famous & a "Great Programming Language" as I mentioned before.
I saw a lot of "eBooks" & "Training Courses" for other Programming Languages, that are below the level & power of PureBasic!
After "Gary Willoughby" eBook, I spent months searching for another Training resource on the form of eBooks or Online Training Courses, but unfortunately nothing.

The matter is not about "what's the topic I need to learn" or "Go & search this great form".
I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!
VB6_to_PBx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: PureBasic is a Great Programming Language with Limited Resources

Post by VB6_to_PBx »

The matter is not about "what's the topic I need to learn" or "Go & search this great form".
I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!
very nice PureBasic Tutorials on this YouTube Link :

https://www.youtube.com/@PureProgramming/videos

Hello, my name is Guillaume and I am a professional software developer.

there are more PureBasic examples on YouTube ,
however, this Forum has tremendous Info + example Codes
you just need to do extensive searching + save + organize Source Codes into their various Gadgets and purpose

PureBasic .... making tiny electrons do what you want !

"With every mistake we must surely be learning" - George Harrison
plouf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by plouf »

the point of tutorials is to get you started, above links provide more than enought
after the first "boost" , theoretically you continue by your self, reading PureBasic's own manual for declarations

AFter, as pointed out, if you a SPECIFIC query to a SPECIFIC point, you need active users ,up to date, where more or less this is practically only here in Forum :))
Christos
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

I'm just wondering why?
Because nobody needs it.
  • It's Basic, so it's easy. Anyone who's ever used another Basic just looks at the differences in the doc.
  • The team is very small, and maintains the documentation very well, with a working example for each function.
  • Most PB users are long-time programmers in all kinds of languages, so they only consult the reference documentation.
  • Several attempts were made, almost all of which were abandoned before completion. Writing a (e)book is a lot of work, so you either many need time or you need to make a profession out of it (which means finding customers willing to pay).
Happy New Year
:P
spikey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by spikey »

Maya wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:18 pm PureBasic by Gary Willoughby, was the best eBook I ever read! ... Then, that's all.
Specifically, what did you think that Gary's book didn't cover that it should have? It can't be updated if no-one is aware of the perceived issues.
SPH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SPH »

And then, a book is "static" while the language evolves...
http://HexaScrabble.com/
!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
!i!i!i!i!i!i!
!i!i!i!
//// Informations ////
Portable LENOVO ideapad 110-17ACL 64 bits
Version de PB : 5.73LTS - 32 bits
blueb
Addict
Addict

Post by blueb »

Maya wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:18 pm
I'm just wondering why?
I really feel so sad, that such great tool has a very limited training resources!

Here's another book for you (with some source code)

https://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?t=58232
- It was too lonely at the top.

System : PB 6.10 LTS (x64) and Win Pro 11 (x64)
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X w/64 gigs Ram, AMD RX 6950 XT Graphics w/16gigs Mem
moricode
User
User

Post by moricode »

Maya wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:18 pm PureBasic by Gary Willoughby, was the best eBook I ever read! ... Then, that's all.
I searched for similar Book or a Training Courses, but unfortunately, I found nothing, just randomly spreader code snapshots, here and there, no more.

While PureBasic is famous & held strong since about 2 decades, unfortunately I couldn't find 'another eBook', or Training Course on Lynda or Udemy as the case with any other 'less level' programming language!

I'm just wondering why?

limited resource means it is not popular , and mildly accepted , so no one of the third-party care to teach / write something article , tutorial about it ,
but it is powerful and fun to use , so it has some hard core programmers/users who still user it occasionally .

If you look at C , there is whole world of planet is using it , you get floored resource on the earth , and many expect library was created in C.

just like between Africa miracle fruit VS Orange fruit , which has more side product and article resource ?

pure basic come to a path that some how has not popular itself by any effort , it only care to make more library to satisfy the hard-core fans to add features , but not care about it's own unique syntax and compiler evolution , this is the base asset , leave the library to other peoples.

you see how C evolve and developed : C89 , C99 , C11 , C17 ...
moricode
User
User

Post by moricode »

SPH wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:02 pm And then, a book is "static" while the language evolves...
language evolves is not about the many many more more external 'library' make build in, this is not what founder to do , look at C , founder to evolves the syntax and compiler output and bugs and structure , data types , macro...

all the C library are make by programmers all around the world , that's all .

go tot the right point.
moricode
User
User

Post by moricode »

if you search "C linkedlist implement" in google , you get millions of answers from all around the world that explain, teach and tutorial on what and how to do it.

unfortunately , you couldn't get any related links for "purebasic linkedlist implementation" . no resource at all .

and who was teaching this in the great forum ? no one