Real classic UI on user32.dll?

Windows specific forum
es_91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Real classic UI on user32.dll?

Post by es_91 »

It appears Windows offers or offered a rather classic looking style on its OS controls GUI that reminds the windows 1.0-windows 3.1 era, compared to the win95+ and the winxp style sheme.

Nowadays windows similarizes the 95+ and winxp shemes to better work amongst each other. But what if i want to go classic today?

I am looking for a way to create very old looking gadgets, as seen in some installshield and other installers on classic software or abandonware.

Can somebody help and give a beginning to this?
Shorter: Is it possible to give Win3.1 style support? (on Windows 10)
Last edited by es_91 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
es_91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Real classic UI on user32.dll?

Post by es_91 »

some like that...

Zach
Addict
Addict

Post by Zach »

This may or may not help you in your search ? Also this looks like it would need to be attempted on a version of windows that could still run a Win16 application.

https://www.transmissionzero.co.uk/comp ... apps-in-c/

I tried looking for info on specifically accessing Win16 GUI stuff but this is the best I could find. It's done in C, so hopefully should be able to port / experiment with on PureBasic
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

I don't think the 16-bit look is supported by modern Windows, but you can definitely give your apps the classic 32-bit Win 95 look if you wanted.
Zach
Addict
Addict

Post by Zach »

The example I linked to was at least running on Windows 10 preview, (I think x32 only though) so it's possible it might still work. Would seem silly to leave in support for something like that all the way up to a preview of a new OS and then rip it out .

but then again, this is Microsoft we're talking about