Dire warnings on windows

Windows specific forum
collectordave
Addict
Addict

Dire warnings on windows

Post by collectordave »

Just released a small setup.exe for my application.

Users are complaining about some dire warnings they are getting when downloading and trying to run the setup all from windows.

How do you register your exe to remove these warnings?

Free of course I am sure Microsoft would not deliberately put users off non Microsoft applications or try to make money out of free applications.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Re: Dire warnings on windows

Post by TI-994A »

collectordave wrote:...Users are complaining about some dire warnings they are getting when downloading and trying to run the setup all from windows...
Presumably, there shouldn't be any warnings during the download process itself. But if these warnings are of virus/malware nature, there's no direct way to circumvent them, other than whitelisting the program, or manually bypassing the security.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

collectordave wrote:Just released a small setup.exe for my application.
Users are complaining about some dire warnings they are getting when downloading and trying to run the setup all from windows.
How do you register your exe to remove these warnings?
Free of course I am sure Microsoft would not deliberately put users off non Microsoft applications or try to make money out of free applications.
Windows 10 always displays a warning for unsigned .EXE files downloaded.
So there are only two solutions:
1. Buy a certificate (free exist, see forum)
2. Educate users (and provide them a SHA signature to verify the origin of the file)
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Marc56us wrote:Buy a certificate (free exist, see forum)
Tried searching ("free cert") but couldn't find this info. Got a link? Thanks!
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

You could also ship your exe in a zip, it really help
Derren
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Derren »

I am really not sure if this is still the case, but I remember windows "blocking" anything that is named "setup.exe".
If you rename it to "put my programm on your disc.exe" some of these blocking message disappear.
Derren
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Derren »

Derren wrote:I am really not sure if this is still the case, but I remember windows "blocking" anything that is named "setup.exe".
If you rename it to "put my programm on your disc.exe" some of these blocking message disappear.
anil2 wrote:I remember windows "blocking" anything that is named "setup.exe".
Degreaser
lol, wtf?
Nice first post :shock: