html5 IE gadget project

Windows specific forum
Kukulkan
Addict
Addict

Re: html5 IE gadget project

Post by Kukulkan »

Hello idle,

any news on this? I'm looking for a cross platform replacement of the PB Webgadget and this is also interesting. While it follows the idea of Fred to use the local available HTML renderer, it still seem to offer more control than the PB Webgadget.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

I've only tried it on windows via a dll but it should be buildable for linux and osx
though I've yet to turn it into a gadget, currently it just launches a window with the browser
which will have some issues on linux from a shared object but it shouldn't be to much trouble to build it statically.

At the moment I'd suggest you take a look at civet_server project as I believe that will offer a better solution
its an embedded in memory http / https server so you're not limited to using the web gadget alone
as you can easily launch your UI into the users browser.
You then have a choice of either using a client side js framework or server side PB directly manipulating the html.
I'm currently looking at adding an html preprocessor, php like processing, so it'll make it easier to use
so you can generate tables and forms with minimal efforts from callbacks.

civet_server
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=70995

git project
https://github.com/idle-PB/pb_civet_server
Windows 11, Manjaro, Raspberry Pi OS
Kukulkan
Addict
Addict

Post by Kukulkan »

Hi idle,

thanks for your reply. I also found the API of this lib does not offer embedding, right? Just open up complete windows.

I cant do like you describe (civet server). I use the HTML gadget to mainly display content to the user and I also run a WYSIWYG html editor inside this gadget (ckeditor). But there is a lot of stuff around and I also use external libraries (libcurl, crypto etc). Thus, it has to run locally.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

Yes the webview lib needs modification to make it into a gadget, it shouldn't be hard to do but it'll still have those cross platform issues.
which are mostly out of our control.

As for Civet_Server it isn't a seperate program, it's your application self hosting with civet_server embedded
along with all the www assets embeddable in the datasection. So you'd have no problem at all using ckeditor with it
plus you have the choice to display it in a webgadget or directly to the users browser.
It also has SSL client functions so you can pull stuff from external resources, though I'm yet to test or intergate that yet
but you can still access the functionality from civetweb.pbi.

If your concern is because its a server you can easily configure it so it's only visible to the local machine
by setting up it's Access control list. -0.0.0.0/0 +127.0.0.1 (-block everything and +allow localhost)

It's probably not going to solve your immediate needs anyhow as it's still windows only but it won't take long to get it cross platform
It just need someone to build the civetweb static libs for linux and OSX (though I can do the linux)
In the mean time I'm scrambling to get it to V1.0 so I can get on and give it a whirl with a real world application.
Windows 11, Manjaro, Raspberry Pi OS
Kukulkan
Addict
Addict

Post by Kukulkan »

Thanks idle, I will have a look.
novablue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by novablue »

i am liking this, would it be possible to add these functions:

- set user agent
- set referrer
- socks5 proxy support would be nice

also how do i open 2 websites at the same time?