SpiderBasic: Wrong licenses for applications

Found an issue in the documentation ? Please report it here !

Moderator: Documentation Editors

Sicro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SpiderBasic: Wrong licenses for applications

Post by Sicro »

http://www.spiderbasic.com/documentatio ... ation.html

The license informations need an update. I strongly doubt that Spiderbasic uses binary libraries in the generated javascript codes.

(I know that SpiderBasic has its own forum, but I don't want to register there to write only this bug report.)
Why OpenSource should have a license :: DarkColor-Scheme for PureBasic
PureBasic-CodeArchiv-Rebirth: Git-Repository / Download – Any help is welcome!
Manjaro Xfce x64 (Main system) :: Windows 7 x64 (VirtualBox) :: Newest PureBasic version
Tristano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: SpiderBasic: Wrong licenses for applications

Post by Tristano »

Sicro wrote:http://www.spiderbasic.com/documentatio ... ation.htmlThe license informations need an update. I strongly doubt that Spiderbasic uses binary libraries in the generated javascript codes.
I've just bought my SB license a couple of days ago and noticed that immediately.

For example, the official licenses file starts with:
Licenses for the SpiderBasic applications (without using 3D engine)
I doubt that SB uses OGRE engine!

Then we also find the Scintilla license listed:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Component: scintilla
--------------------------------------------------------------------

License for Scintilla and SciTE

Copyright 1998-2003 by Neil Hodgson <neilh@scintilla.org>

All Rights Reserved
Again, SB applications don't use the Scintilla component (only the IDE does).

So it seems to me that currently the SpiderBasic documentation is mostly an adaptation of PureBasic Help file, with some sections taken out and others being reworked.

The main problem is that if the licenses file mentions some third party components that are not actually there (i.e. left over from PB), I then wonder if all the third party libraries that are really used by SB are being credited at all — and like Sicro pointed out, all these licenses seem to be those of the binary components used by PB, not the JS libs used by SB.

This seems a huge issue to me, which could actually prevent distributing applications created with SB, because honoring licenses it's fundamental, and I don't quite feel confident that this is the case right now.

Any suggestions on how to include licenses of the third party components that are being used by SB app?

Thanks
The PureBASIC Archives: FOSS Resources:
Tristano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Tristano »

Sicro wrote:http://www.spiderbasic.com/documentatio ... ation.htmlI strongly doubt that Spiderbasic uses binary libraries in the generated javascript codes.
It might actually be doing so, if it's reusing the same C libraries and compiling them to JavaScript or WASM via tools like EMscripten:

https://emscripten.org/

But the problem remains that something is odd in the licenses files (the OGRE 3D engine, and Scintilla shouldn't be there).
Tristano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Tristano »

Three years have passed since the initial post, but it seems to have gone by unnoticed, since the problem persists as of SB v2.31.

I've created a dedicated post on the SpiderBasic Forum to address the issue:
And also mentioned in another post the fact that when I bought my SB license I was planning to use it for an immediate project, and then immediately bailed out from using it upon seeing the dodgy licenses issues:
I really hope this gets fixed, for it's affecting the ability to (legally) use SB in production.