Update 3D libraries

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
Programie
User
User

Update 3D libraries

Post by Programie »

While writing a 3D game in PureBasic, I realized that the current versions of OGRE (1.8.2) and CEGUI (0.7.7) are dated back to 2012... which is kind of outdated.

Therefore, please update those libraries to something more recent.
ImageImageImageImage
RSBasic

Re: Update 3D libraries

Post by RSBasic »

+1
tft
User
User

Post by tft »

+1
TFT seid 1989
Aktuelles Projekte : Driving School Evergarden
YouTube : Pure Basic to go
FaceBook : Temuçin SourceMagic Games
DISCORD : SourceMagic
W10 , i9 9900K ,32 GB Ram , GTX Titan , 3 Monitore FHD
ARDUINO Freak :-)
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

+1
Ampli
User
User

Post by Ampli »

+1
akee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by akee »

+1

Scintilla.dll too. :D
DK_PETER
Addict
Addict

Post by DK_PETER »

I'm not sure, that will happen but.. +1
Current configurations:
Ubuntu 20.04/64 bit - Window 10 64 bit
Intel 6800K, GeForce Gtx 1060, 32 gb ram.
Amd Ryzen 9 5950X, GeForce 3070, 128 gb ram.
pf shadoko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by pf shadoko »

yes, it will happen
but if an experienced developer wants to help me, it will happen faster!
Bullet should also be updated (Physics)
box_80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by box_80 »

I would be glad to see a upgrade to Ogre 2.1, but that could be to much work for a small team. Ogre 2.1 don't work with direct 9, so the functions would have to be separate from the direct 9 3d functions. Don't know about OpenGL. What I could maybe see happening is it upgrading to Ogre 1.12.11. Ogre1 do seem to support direct 11 now, so there could be some performance gains.

https://www.ogre3d.org/about/what-version-to-choose

With 1.12.11 there many bugfixes and some new features.

https://www.ogre3d.org/2021/02/12/ogre-1-12-11-released

Some good new is with the new C backend. That could help 3D performance also.
Last edited by box_80 on Sat May 14, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Programie
User
User

Post by Programie »

box_80 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:51 amOgre 2.1 don't work with direct 9, so the functions would have to be separate from the direct 9 3d functions. Don't know about OpenGL.
In another post, Fred said, that they might remove DirectX support and only use OpenGL in the future:
Fred wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:40 am You should use OpenGL when using the 3D engine. We might remove DX support altoghether from it, as it's too complicated to handle shaders for both DX and OpenGL
That would have the advantage of only having to support a single graphics subsystem which also decreases the development effort when updating the 3D libraries. Which would make it easier to update the libraries on a regular basis.
ImageImageImageImage
Thorium
Addict
Addict

Post by Thorium »

Talking about the 3D engine. It's really outdated. Falling back to OpenGL may also not a good path forward. To my knowlege OpenGL has been widly deprecated in favor of Vulkan. So, if DX is dropped, the logical move would be to Vulkan. You may lose compatibility to extremly old hardware but it's better than moving towards a wall of deprecation.

Also, if you look for anything else than basic 3D, you should go with one of the big engines instead. Mainly Unreal and Unity come to mind. Btw. UE 4.27 will introduce the possibility to use the API from outside UE itself. The feature is called "Unreal Engine as a Library". First version is for windows only, but it may be a great replacement for Ogre in the future.
CDXbow
User
User

Post by CDXbow »

Thorium wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:31 am Talking about the 3D engine. It's really outdated. Falling back to OpenGL may also not a good path forward. To my knowlege OpenGL has been widly deprecated in favor of Vulkan. So, if DX is dropped, the logical move would be to Vulkan. You may lose compatibility to extremly old hardware but it's better than moving towards a wall of deprecation.

Also, if you look for anything else than basic 3D, you should go with one of the big engines instead. Mainly Unreal and Unity come to mind. Btw. UE 4.27 will introduce the possibility to use the API from outside UE itself. The feature is called "Unreal Engine as a Library". First version is for windows only, but it may be a great replacement for Ogre in the future.
Agree. There really is no future in Ogre or OpenGL. Vulkan has a future and has a big boy sponsor with Google and Android. I think it's just a question of how and when.

If you were a game programmer Unreal and Unity remain your first ports of call. I hadn't heard of 'Unreal Engine as a Library', sounds interesting but perhaps a little young still.
Keya
Addict
Addict

Post by Keya »

I don't use any 3D stuff, but I think the update to v6 presents a good opportunity/time to update to the latest libraries
Thorium
Addict
Addict

Post by Thorium »

CDXbow wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:34 am I hadn't heard of 'Unreal Engine as a Library', sounds interesting but perhaps a little young still.
Yeah, it's not production ready yet, but may be an option to switch to in the future.

They just released it's first iteration with UE4.27 Preview:
"UE-As-Lib. With UE-As-Lib, you can build the UE4 runtime as a library and interact with it through a minimal, built-in API. This API starts UE4, optionally accepting a command-line and window handle, updates (ticks) it, receives Windows messages, and can shut it down. You can expand the API to suit your needs, exposing any existing or new functionality for external use."

For people who wonder why you could not integrate Unreal Engine before this new feature: Unreal Engine is not a library you integrate in your project. It is actually a software suit, with it's own tool chain, build process, etc. When you make a game with Unreal Engine you actually make it as a module which is loaded by the engine instead of you integrating the engine, you integrate your games code into the engine. This new UE-As-Lib feature enables the other way around.
box_80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by box_80 »

Ogre Next do have Vulkan as a priority with experimental support as of right now. I wonder what the license is for Unreal Engine Library is?