W10 Edge is powered by Chrominium: create new WebGadget ?

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

W10 Edge is powered by Chrominium: create new WebGadget ?

Post by Marc56us »

:idea:

For two weeks now, Windows 10 has been receiving in update, the new Edge which integrates the Chrominium engine. (yes, it's works and extensions too)
Given that Windows 10 has a large market share and that the Chrome engine is proven, it could be interesting to create a Web gadget using this engine, because engine is inside OS ?

Chrominium being available on all OSes, compatibility would also be ensured.

It would nevertheless be necessary to keep the old WebGadget for for old application is the OS not compatible (and also because it is not very resource-consuming)

Possible or not?
:?: :wink:
Josh
Addict
Addict

Re: W10 Edge is powered by Chrominium: create new WebGadget

Post by Josh »

Marc56us wrote:It would nevertheless be necessary to keep the old WebGadget for for old application is the OS not compatible (and also because it is not very resource-consuming)
Yes, for small insertions à 'tip of the day' it's always enough.
sorry for my bad english
Tristano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Tristano »

I had followed the news of the upcoming Edge engines (there are different variants right now, not just the Chromium one) but didn't realize that it had already moved from Windows Insider to current Win 10 updates — but it makes sense, since the recent update that broke the search box on the task bar, due to it switching to a new JavaScript version by Bing (eventually, it was fixed a couple of days ago).

I'm quite optimistic about the Edge browser component, and have seen some examples on GitHub (where it's been developed). Surely, it's going to be much better than the old browser component (with all its registry quirks to just to achieve a very basic CSS3 support).

I'm a bit concerned about memory consumption though, for Chromium is heavy. One of the things that surfaces with the recent switch of the Task Bar Search to JavaScript is that it eats 120 MB of ram every time you click on the search box:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... -work.html

I'm not sure if this is related to the new Edge control, but it seems likely from what the linked article states.

Another issue might be privacy and data collection, which is a known issue with Chromium and Edge.

Ideally, the Sciiter bindings that have already been discussed seem a more attractive alternative, still cross-platform, very light weight, except that it doesn't use JavaScript but a proprietary alternative.

Has anyone got any news on the current status of the Edge Browser Control? Is it already usable under Win 10 or does is still require Windows insider?
The PureBASIC Archives: FOSS Resources:
plouf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by plouf »

at any case "old" engine MUST be kept in some way
since its not only "build inside all oses" but also as we know
there are millions of "internet explorer only ACtiveX plugins" that work ONLY there
Christos